Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New User Coming On Board

Hello All,

My name is JP, and I'm a thirty-five year old caucasian male living in Northern Virginia. I was diagnosed with MS four years ago, which was amusing to me (at the time...less so now, go figure) because I had simply assumed that all of the neurological decline that I had been going through had been from a decade of trafficking and using Crystal Meth (not to worry, all: I've been clean since July, 2005, and will remain so).

In any event, I was used to strange spasms and half-seizures from my drug days (although, a wise friend of mine from the medical side of things says that he thinks that my increased use in the last couple of years that I was using was me self-medicating against MS symptoms and not really realizing it...not a justification for the drug-use, of course, but an interesting thought about how we're built, and how we'll intuitively try to compensate for the bad things we can subconsciously tell are going on), but the day that my left eye blew out like a candle, I went to see the doc.

Shortly thereafter, a diagnosis of MS, and shortly after that, conclusive proof of it.

So...bringing us back to now: I'm under care at George Washington University Medical Group (and not happy about it), I'm a divorced father of three, my friends and family are understanding about what I'm going through, and work, of course, doesn't know (except for a few key people).

I'll read the other sections of the board, and comment, and I'll certainly have questions, as while the care at GW is touted as one of the best in the world (and they may be, scientifically speaking), I find that they lack any and all compassion for THE PERSON, and are interested solely in the disease.

I'm pleased to meet you all, and I'm pleased to be here.

Thanks.

--JP

Welcome JP, but sorry that you have found that you need to be here.

I am sorry that you have had the lacking in compassion at GW. I am grateful that my MS clinic has totally caring workers and the infusion center couldn't be better. When I hear that medical institutions treat people like the disease and not people I cringe.

Be sure and check out all the boards to see if there are things that you can get info on and where you can offer help to us.
    "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Hello JP

Welcome to MS World - nice to meet you!

Congratulations on being clean for 5 years

Hopefully you will benefit from the various forums here, as well as from the support and shared experiences of our members.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hey JP

Congrats on kicking the habit!!! I can just imagine what you went through. I am from Brooklyn NY and I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago however, I have had a lot of "Training" since my step mother was diagnosed in 1983. There is a lot of great people here and a lot of useful information. The way I seem to be fighting the MS MONSTER is by being as positive and uplifting as I can. This is a great place to vent and a great place to share good things as well. Check out the music post in the book board. Just trying to expand my personal collection and if you have any great bands you could share it would be greatly appreciated. All the boards are very useful, not only for support, but for figuring out what is going to work best for you based on others experience.

Im Looking forward to hearing more from you. Welcome

Comment

Try asking other MS people in your area what their recommendations are for a more caring medical place. It could be that they just don't 'fit' you at GW.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

GTU

Hi JP Welcome. I live in your area. Try Georgetown University Hospital. I'm fairly new with them but satisfied so far.
            [I]Tellnhelen
            Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

TRY HOPKINS

Welcome to MS World JP. I too live in your area and was just diagnosed 5 mths ago. I went to the Cleveland Clinic when my feet, legs and trunk suddenly became numb. I was always healthy and did not have an internist's guidance to get me into a medical center immediately. Cleveland was wonderful and would have seen me the same day but had to catch a plane first so I saw them the day after.

Trouble was, I couldn't just hop on a plane every time I needed a neuro. So, I called, begged and pleaded and got a cancellation at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. It's difficult to get an initial appointment but my new doc turned out to be wonderful, brilliant, compassionate, and he takes all the time you need for appointments. Hopkins has one of the best MS centers in the country, has studies and docs are up on all new meds and technological equipment.

-Good luck and I wish you all the best.

Comment

Working...
              X