isolated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isolated

I feel so alone with my M.S. that outs frustrating as depressing. I feel like I can't lean on anyone but God and God is the only reason I keep trying to move forward.
    😢

MS can feel isolating. Many people don't know a lot about it. Those without it might have difficulty trying to understand how it feels to have MS. You mention depression. What's going on, neurologically, puts us at a higher risk for a chemical depression; and, what's going on, day to day, with our bodies and the changes and losses we must adjust to, can certainly lead to situational depression.

I recommend going to a professional. At the very least, your primary care physician, to ask about an anti-depressant med. A psychiatrist has more knowledge about AD meds, but they are sometimes more likely to push long term med treatment, even when it isn't always necessary. A psychologist or a licensed clinical social worker may be able to provide you with some therapy. Sometimes it's helpful to talk through those feelings.

A support group might be a good idea. But, even finding some friends to talk to that understand can be useful. I haven't met many people with MS, but I've found that people who experience other chronic illnesses have a lot of things in common with me. My MIL with Parkinson's, my sister with Type I Diabetes, a friend who is a breast cancer survivor, etc.

I'm glad that you are relying on God. During hard times, I learned to try to "pray without ceasing" more often, and, since then, I've learned to continue to do that more often. For me, one time that is useful is every night as I'm falling asleep. I like to repeat a comforting verse or passage over and over in my head. Or, sing a helpful praise song over and over (ie: I Cast All My Cares Upon You) or a hymn (God Will Take Care of You).

In the meantime, try not to isolate yourself. Meet a friend for lunch or coffee or a movie. Go for a walk in the park, or go sit at a local playground and watch a mom and her kids play. If you have a pet, spend time with your pet. Eat healthy foods, get enough sleep, pamper yourself sometimes.

MS is a curveball you didn't expect in the game of life.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
    X