Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit lost

Hi,
    I recently got diagnosed and it's really hard not falling into depression.
    Since I'm such a happy person my family thinks I'm fine even though i don't show it. I wish they were more involved in this. Makes me sad to the point where I cry at night In my room when everyone's asleep.

I'm so sorry for your recent diagnosis of MS. it is so overwhelming and frightening when you find out you have it. When I had mine, I felt like life as I knew it was over. I was so scared for my children and how I would support them. But for twenty years, I have been able to enjoy life despite MS. is it a struggle sometimes? Definitely. But you never know what will happen in the course of your individual disease. That makes it both scary and hopeful. Many people go for years with minimal disability.
    MS can also be very isolating because you can feel so much worse than you appear to be. Have you tried talking to your family and letting them know how you really feel? They may be unaware and/or really worried about you but not wanting to talk about it for fear of bringing you down. There are also many support groups and resources for newly diagnosed MS patients. Your local MS society or neurologist would have information on those.
    Find someone to talk to, please don't keep it all to yourself. Sounds like you have a good family. It's okay to not always be happy around them. They could be a wonderful support in the years ahead if you let them be.
    Wishing you well

Comment

Hi miss22law and welcome! Getting a diagnosis of MS can be challenging and depressing, but we're glad you reached out to us. As AriD says, this does not mean your life is over and you can experience many, many years of an enjoyable and productive life!

I think one of the first thing you might want to address is your depression. If it is a reaction to your recent dx, that is understandable and many of us have experience this. I too felt so depressed and was fortunate to find a good therapist to talk with and who prescribed anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications. This was a saving grace for me. The medications may not be what you need at this time, but just talking to a good therapist, nevertheless, is recommended in my book. Especially since you seem to need some support beyond your family.

What also may be helpful to your family is getting them (and yourself!) educated about MS. Having a dx of MS is a family affair. It takes time for families to adjust to it as much as you and there will be many emotions as your all go through the grieving and adjustment period.

The NMSS can be most helpful in obtaining good information to share with them. The Knowledge Is Power program is a free, at-home educational series for people newly diagnosed with MS and their families. It is a 6 week program delivered by snail mail or email. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Res...ledge-is-Power

Another book that reportedly have helped people here is the book called MS for Dummies.

I hope you and your family will, in time, become more comfortable with your situation. We have all, to some degree, have been in your shoes and we are here for you lending support as well.

Take care and post questions here as often as you need!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Newly Diagnosed too....

I was diagnosed just this past April - welcome to the club that none of wanted to belong to. It is really hard, some days I am ok, some days I am not. It is ok to cry, but please don't stop sharing with your family. This disease is scary because there are so many unknowns. But that gives us hope too! You don't know how you will do, or how you will feel a week from now or 5 years from now. You can get through this, but you can't isolate yourself. Educate yourself and your family, let them help you. If you need to talk to someone else, find a good therapist. Sorry you are here but happy to help in any way possible.
        Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

Working...
        X