New to group. Diagnosed with MS... again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to group. Diagnosed with MS... again

Hi! My name is Laura and I am a very blessed mother to 7 children, ages 21 years old down to 1 month old. I am married to my best friend and this year will mark our 23rd year. I have always been a full time wife and mom, but am now a sophomore in college attempting to earn a degree in Christian Counseling.

July 2012, my feet became numb and over a course of three days, it ascended all the way to my neck. This was predominantly on my left side but eventually both sides were affected. I was admitted into the hospital when a large lesion was found at the C2 level of my spinal cord (MRI of brain was clear), treated with IV steroids and after 7 days, was sent home on a walker. We flew to Mayo and they said it was "probable MS".

We came home and found a local neuro who claimed to see 6 brain lesions, diagnosed me with "definite MS" and put me on Tysabri and myriad of other drugs, including Vimpat, claiming I had seizure activity on EEG. I became unable to think and speak clearly, and fell unconscious down a flight of stairs. We flew back to Mayo a year since the first time, who said I needed to cease all meds, that my brain MRI was still clear and that they still only seen one lesion at C2 and that they did not believe I had MS. They also deemed me as not having seizure activity, and said all those issues were from being over medicated. After stopping all drugs, I felt so much better but then became pregnant after an IUD failure. I considered myself no longer an MS patient. I truly believed I did not have MS.

The pregnancy went fine until I had a severe bout with the flu and again, my feet became numb. This time the numbness came up to mid-back and then turned into spacity. I fell but the baby wasn't hurt. Right after birth, I had an MRI with contrast and a new lesion was found on my spine at T6 and a large lesion was found in my brain. We flew, once again to Mayo and they diagnosed me this time with "definite MS".

I will visit a new local neuro in a few weeks and plan to commence Copaxone. I like the idea of it having no major risks and only a few side effects.

So, that about wraps up the last 3 years and my MS story. I appreciate this site and look forward to learning and sharing this experience with others going through it.

Thanks for reading,
    Laura

Hi Laura,
    Welcome, sorry for the reason you're here, but I'm glad you found us. I wish I had found this site much earlier than I did. There's a lot to read & learn. It's made my understanding of all this a whole lot more comprehensive.
    I hope the new neuro works well for you. It sounds like you've been through way too much to get where you are. Best wishes. Keep us posted on how you're doing (if it's not too pushy to ask).
    "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
    Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Working...
    X