Long-timer, giving hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long-timer, giving hope

Not sure I've ever introduced myself here, but I thought my annual "anniversary" post would spread the most hope here.

This week, I just hit 8 years without an exacerbation.

Yes, most of it is just the luck of the draw with having very mild MS (for which I am thankful every day). But I also watch my diet - I've been vegetarian for 20 years, not related to the MS - and I exercise regularly (figure skating 2-4 times a week - nothing fancy, folks! Just using those muscles, even if it's two-footed skating for the whole session.). And I've been on DMDs since diagnosis 7 years ago.

But the first exacerbation (suspected MS, but not diagnosed) was in 1996. And my current neuro suspects I've had MS for about 25 years.

Just wanted to post a more hopeful story, even though I can't claim credit for it.

Stay well, stay positive.

Looks like you've been here, at MSWorld, a long time, N, even though you don't post frequently. Glad that your MS is mild. It's always good to hear the positive stories, even when ours might be less positive.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I've had a similar path Nabossa. First flare was in 2000, second and last in 2006, so 9 years for me. I've taken LDN for the past 7 or 8 years. My mother also had MS and kept walking (poorly) right up until she passed away at 85.

I've probably had it since my mid 20's if heat intolerance and occasional bouts of extreme fatigue count. Those stopped with the LDN.

I'm pretty active and most people don't know I have MS, or forget that I do.

C

Comment

Me too!

Congrats on your anniversary. Here's to another one next year again.

I too am a long timer and feeling relatively good as well! It is good to give hope to limbo-landers and newly diagnosed that MSland isn't all bad.

I was dx'd May 2002 at 31 yrs old. Rebif Sep 02 to Jun 11 and Gilenya June 11 to present. Last major flair was October 2002. Now don't get me wrong, lots of symptoms (numbness, burning and extreme fatigue, migraines) but nothing file-notable.

I had a dd in 2007, was off Rebif for 2 yrs during pregnancy and nursing.

I took up running in 2012, due to job stress and a desire to do it while I still could. I have since run 5 half marathons (personal best of 1:55) and have just signed up for an 18 week marathon clinic to run my first in October.

Who said MS has to be limiting? I take life one day at a time, and am thankful for the abilities I still have, 13 years later.
        Dx May 2002 RRMS
        Rebif Sept 2002 to June 2011
        Gilenya June 2011 - present
        EDSS 0.0

Comment

Working...
        X