Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife on a COMA.....

HI...ANSWERS PLEASE....HELP
    My name is stelio, and im new on this thing.
    i come from a small greek island (cyprus), and i have some questions i need to find answers fast for MS..
    My wife was sudenly whent to a coma with 2-3 days of a sickness simptoms. now she is in a life suport machines, and the doctors they say its MS....
    can this be?
    without any problem?
    she is a yoga instractor 46 years old and in a general good health?
    last year 2014 we have been toghether in india, vietnam,cambotia,and thailand
    please i need answers....
    im desperate
    stelio

Hello stelio~ I am so saddened to hear this news. You must be devastated! I can't give you any answers as to why this has happened. My knowledge is limited as I'm not a Doctor, but I've never heard of this before.

I hope her Doctor can help while you navigate through this situation. He would be the best source for getting answers as to why this sudden onset of a coma is related to MS, either directly or indirectly.

All I can offer is hope that she comes through this and prayers to you both.

Please keep us updated!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I am sorry, also, to hear of your wife's condition. I'm sure not a doctor, and can't give you any answers. I'm wondering, though. Is she on any meds? I am not ever able to get out of an MS flare without steroids; maybe she requires IV solumedrol. What does her doctor say regarding likely prognosis?
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hello stelio:
        I'm so sorry to hear about what is going on with your wife.

What happened to your wife is not typical of MS. It isn't characteristic of MS to strike so devastatingly so suddenly.

However it IS a common presentation of a different inflammatory, demyelinating disease called neuromyelitis optica (NMO). (It used to be called Devic's disease.) NMO affects the brainstem and spinal cord with very large inflammatory lesions and can strike hot and fast, and put patients on a ventilator within just a few days. It happens a lot with NMO.

NMO is very often misdiagnosed as MS, and this could be what has occurred with your wife.

The Mayo Clinic in the United States has some of the leading experts in the world about NMO. Your wife's doctors can contact the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota for consultation about what to do about your wife's treatments. You can do a web search for their website and find their phone number and the link for how doctors can contact the Mayo Clinic neurologists for a consultation.

Because both NMO and MS are inflammatory conditions, attacks are treated with massive doses of steroids. But after that, the ongoing treatments are different, and typical MS medicines are BAD for NMO, so it is very important for your wife's doctors to determine whether your wife has NMO so she can get on the right treatment.

I hope your wife's doctors can look into this right away, because speed is important with NMO.

I wish you both all the best.

Comment

Hi Stelio,

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.

Here are some links for you: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20036360

http://www.mayoclinic.org/about-mayo-clinic/contact

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...yelitis-Optica

Best wishes to you and your dear wife.
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
          X