Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie--desperate--unbearable back pain and custody trial

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and in desperate need of help.

I am in the middle of a custody battle for my seven year old daughter—the trial is May 5th. My soon-to-be ex-husband is claiming that I am unable to care for our daughter because of my MS.

I have relapsing remitting MS and am on Copaxone. My husband initiated our divorce when I had my first severe relapse in October 2013—I ended up using a wheelchair and was partially blind.

I’ve regained my ability to walk, my vision, etc., since then, and my MRI shows no disease progression. I was fully functional until the end of this January, when I began to have severe lower back pain. It feels like spasticity. My neurologist has continuously raised my Baclofen and that helped through roughly the end of this March—it enabled me to stand up straight and be mobile and take care of my daughter, though I still hurt.

But at the end of this March I reached the maximum of Baclofen 80 mg per day, and it stopped working on my back pain. I have had an MRI to look for a slipped disc or arthritis and it has come up empty.

It’s been 21 days and the pain has gotten worse to a point where I can’t stand up straight—I’m always hunched forward. I whimper in pain when I wake up.

The only thing that’s getting me through the days is a tens unit my Physical Therapist ordered for me—I keep it on constantly and blasting.

I have tried other muscle relaxers through my PCP and nothing makes anything but the smallest dent in the pain.

When I feel my back from mid-back to lower back there are specific muscles that are so tight that I feel the urge to take a needle and burst them, if that makes sense.

I have an appointment at a pain clinic on Thursday, April 23. I was just able to speak to them and they said it would only be a consultation, and that they couldn’t say if they could do any injections or if they could they would have room to fit me in before my custody trial.

I need to be able to stand upright for my custody trial and I am horrified that this is happening. I’ve never experienced anything like this before. I’ve had spasticity in my left hip, tops of my ankles, and a muscle in my left calf intermittently but it’s never been debilitating.

Have any of you ever experienced spasticity in your back to this degree? If so, what did you do to help with the pain? Do you know if there is any way I can get something to make the pain tolerable and allow me to stand upright for my custody trial on May 5? My daughter’s life is hanging in the balance.

I’m scared. I know that I’m new and you don’t know me, but if you have any advice or feedback it would be so much help. I don’t know where else to turn.

Thank you!

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

So sorry for all that you are going through with the custody and divorce. I too have gone through a nasty divorce but my kids are older so I was spared that fight.
    I also have back pain and spasms. I go to a massage therapist regularly and have a TENS unit. I also see the pain clinic for trigger point injections which are quite helpful.
    Good luck at your appointment tomorrow and I hope they have some answers for you.

Comment

I think this is worth a try: google wellness mama magnesium body butter- you can buy magnesium chloride from amazon or some health food stores. You mix it with warm water- and blend it with coconut butter (shea butter is NOT necessary). I put it on the sore spots- neck, lower back and the pain goes away or decreases enormously. The water will weep out of the mixture but the water is saturated with the magnesium so go ahead and spread that on your back. This allows me to walk normally. I also set the alarm clock half an hour early in the AM and stretch in bed- knees to chest.
      Here´s hoping you find relief. (Magnesium relaxes your muscles.)

Comment

I Feel Your Pain

Hello,

I am happy to find that I am not losing my mind...I have complained of this type of pain with no options given by doctors. I am at my wits end with pain. I do hope you find some type of solution before your court day.

In My Thoughts,

Keisha

Comment

Maggie, a friend of mine had this and they were helped by a tens unit and a back brace. I do not know if you have tried this are not, but it is the only thing I can tell you.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

thank you for your responses! moving my follow up to general questions and answers

hunterd, thank you for your suggestions. I have my tens unit blasting as I write! I will have to see about a back brace.

Keisha, gwynnf, and Temagami, I have some follow-up comments/questions for you, but I thought it would be better if I moved my responses to the general questions and answers board so I wouldn't be "introducing myself" any more. If you read this and you have time, will you check my thread on the general questions and answers board and write me back?

I did add to my profile so you can see more about me. Thank you all for your help and good wishes. It is really heartwarming.

Maggie

Comment

Working...
            X