Just Diagnosed, First Injection Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Diagnosed, First Injection Today

Hello Everyone. My name is Laura and I was dx with MS on January 14, 2015.

My symptoms began in my eyes; heavy floaters and intermittent flashers in early 2013. I saw an ophthalmologist and was told that it was intermediate uveitis, that there was nothing to worry about and was common for folks in their early 30's. After researching uveitis, I found that it is a possible symptom of MS and began advocating for an MRI. I had an "unremarkable" MRI, without contrast, of my brain and cervical spine in September 2013 and was sent on my way.

One year later, no improvement in my vision and I began experiencing numbness in my right hand. By October of 2014, my right hand completely gave out on me. I dropped everything; drinking glasses, mascara wand, dry erase markers (I teach 2nd grade), everything. If I didn't fully concentrate on what I was holding, it dropped. I had an EMG and MRI of my shoulder to rule out any injury, then back to the neurologist.

The next set of MRI's, completed with contrast, showed "compelling evidence of MS." MRI was corroborated by results from LP. Mimics were ruled out by what seemed like a million blood tests. I received my diagnosis through an email from my first neurologist. It was a horrible, lonely way to find out that my life was forever changed. That neurologist has since been replaced with an amazing, caring neuro that I will continue to work with.

The worst of it was telling my family. My sister also has MS (dx ten years ago) and it was a huge blow that we now share this diagnosis. It's just wrong to make your parents cry. It was awful to make the people I love so sad.

Today the Shared Solutions nurse comes to teach me how to inject Copaxone. I'm trying to be positive, not focus on what might happen, but focus my energy on where I am right now. Aside, from floaters and tingling in my hands, I am fine. I have an amazing family, a beautiful home, and a chocolate lab who is always ready to help my walk off my anxieties. After spending several days reading posts, I know that I am fortunate to have such benign symptoms and am hopeful that with exercise, healthy foods, and a DMT, I will be okay.

WELCOME TO MSWORLD LAURA! MS is no picnic, but you sound as if you have a fantastic attitude!it sure does sound like MS is picking on your family! I cannot believe that a doctor would send you an email with that sort of news! I am glad he was replaced by someone much better. Good luck to you. Take a look around and familiarize yourself with our website, we also have a great chat room schedule. Take a look and check it out.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

It sucks getting that diagnosis, been there. It seems like getting the diagnosis is a death sentence but kinda of a relief knowing what is going on with yourself. There is much knowledge here and good place to ask questions from the veterans. Hang in there. There is life with MS!!!!!!!!!!!
      If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X