New-ish here, saying hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New-ish here, saying hello

Hi all, I have been a member for a while but just lurked and read the articles, forum topics etc. I used to post at the old usenet site alt.mult-sclerosis the usenet sites sort of died out about 10 years ago. People like the "forums" thing more, I guess.

I was diagnosed in '99 after a about a year of MS weirdness and related issues. At that point I had to give up working, sell my house and moved in with my girlfriend out of necessity.
    I was put on Copaxone, and after re-training at a local community college, went back to work in a different field. It was much less stressful than my previous career and my MS went mostly in to remission after a few years of Copaxone. I got a good job with a large school district, doing computer and network support, and continued my professional education while I worked.

Over the past 15 years my relapses have become less frequent and less severe, I am guessing it's the Copaxone and that I have learned to manage fatigue, pain issues and have adapted to the permanent MS related damage. (permanently numb left foot, chronic spinal headaches, occasional optic neuritis)
    I recently retired at age 62, and am planning to do a lot of fly fishing, motorcycle riding and work on my house, here in San Francisco. My wife ( I married the girlfriend) has been very supportive over the years, and things are pretty darn good. I have no major lingering MS issues these days, and have all the time I need to manage fatigue and stuff that persists.

Hope I can be helpful to people here if I can, whether it's on MS experience or even with tech issues.
    Jim
    Jim S.

Hi Jim and welcome! So glad you shared your story with us and your lurking days are over We all have given and received support on MSW and I'm sure you will be helpful here to many of us.

You and I were diagnosed the same year, although I had on and off symptoms for 10 years before that. I'm glad you have done well on Copaxone and you are managing well with your symptoms.

Hope you enjoy your retirement years and can catch lots of fish
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yes; welcome, Jim. Your many years of MS have given you experience and knowledge that we'd love for you to share with us. Come back often.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Jim..boy, I needed that post this morning..I'm having a rough relapse. I'm a community nurse and miss helping people ..can barely walk to the bathroom on my own right now..so there is some light at the end of this tunnel...I sure hope so my friend..how long did your longest relapse last? I'm not on meds..I see so many side effects in my patients that I've decided not to go that route..lots of research on them, just the thought of the trial periods etc..Just hoping I can be back on my mountain bike on my Cape Cod holiday this summer..I want to be me again...have a great day from a rainy Ontario, Canada..better than snow tho!!!

Comment

Now that was a wonderful post! I am curious on how you manage your fatigue. I've tried all the pills but nothing worked for me. I go through periods where I get some energy and I'm so excited when I accomplish something...... and POOF....the next day it's ZIP.

So happy your life seems ful-filled! I am grateful for any and every good day. I was diagnosed last June and have been on Rebif for 6 months. We had a month when they jumped me to the highest dose got very sick so was off a month.

Take Care and thanks for the positive post!

Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
          RRMS
          Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Haven't seen you return since about 3 weeks ago, Jim. Hope you'll be back!
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbinurse View Post
              .....how long did your longest relapse last? I'm not on meds.....
              My worst attack went on for about a month, and left me with some permanent souveniers. (numb left foot, about 25% loss of hearing in left ear)

I was untreated at the time it occurred. Since being on Copaxone, my relapses have been infrequent and much less serious, more like a "bad day" than a full blown attack.

I cannot say for sure that Copaxone is the difference but I am pretty sure it has made a major dent in my MS overall. I know that it's progressing, though, even if it's not a dramatic series of changes.
              Jim S.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                Haven't seen you return since about 3 weeks ago, Jim. Hope you'll be back!
                Just back home from 3 months in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana. It gets harder to come home from vacations once you retire.....

Better than my first "retirement", brought on by MS and it's related issues. I was able to go back to work after 3 years out of the job market, and then retire properly after putting in another 11 years of work in a different field.

I am truly one of the lucky ones, no doubt.
                Jim S.

Comment

Originally posted by jstinnett View Post
                  Just back home from 3 months in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana. It gets harder to come home from vacations once you retire.....

Better than my first "retirement", brought on by MS and it's related issues. I was able to go back to work after 3 years out of the job market, and then retire properly after putting in another 11 years of work in a different field.

I am truly one of the lucky ones, no doubt.
                  Glad you're back.

And, a month for a flare is probably not much out of the norm. My flares, even with 5 days of steroids and a 10-day taper, usually last about three weeks.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                  X