Wheelchair advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair advice

I was first diagnosed in June of 1999, at that time I had double vision and minor numbness in my right leg. Through the years of medication, and multiple setbacks and physical therapy, I seemed to have a hold (if you can) on MS. Then in June of 2014 I had a motorcycle accident (someone pulled out in front of me). I rode when I could and really fought for that enjoyment in my life. The wreck resulted in: separated left shoulder, shattered right tibia, broken L2 vertebra and a split open chin...... I was wearing a helmet so that did save my brain, even though my wife says I was not too smart riding in the first place. Since then my MS has kicked into high gear, so much so that I am thinking of getting my first wheelchair because I can't stand long or walk any real distance. It does not seem like insurance will cover any of the rigid manual wheelchairs and I am looking to you all to find someone who has had better luck in your searches.
    - Tyler, DX- 06.1999

Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri, Techfidera, Gilenya

Welcome to MSWorld Tyler! I'm so sorry to hear of your accident and how it has impacted your life - that's really a tough one. You didn't mention getting physical therapy as one of your steps for gaining back mobility, but it helps tremendously if you haven't done so!

As far as financial assistance for buying a wheelchair, there are many avenues - Many of us get help with our doctor's prescription for obtaining one. I gather from what you said, it didn't help?

Here is some information from the NMSS that may be helpful for suggestions - http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Res...tive-Equipment

Also from the MSF (MS Foundation) and their grants, based on income for assistive needs - http://www.msfocus.org/Adopt-a-Program.aspx

Take care and let us know how the search goes. Good luck and again, welcome!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you.

I was doing PT until the accident, it was a huge help and I need to restart it. Thank you for the links and I will start reviewing them.
      - Tyler, DX- 06.1999

Comment

ouch!

so sorry to hear about your accident and probable w/c.
        i've owned 3 so far.
        disability bought me my first w/c (manual) Dec. 2004. the orthopedic treating me for my hip from a fall at work, ordered it. standard solid wheels, black, no cushion, folds up, weighed about 20 or so lbs.

that worked okay for me. i used an elec w/c for conferences, vacations, etc.

a few years ago, i decided to get a lightweight, sport type w/c. it has spoke wheels, removable cushion gel pad, actually everything on this chair can be removed. i love it!!!
        bad news is it was about $1200 and SSDI didn't pay a penny on it!
        good news, it's the best thing that's happened to me. i'd used elec w/c and didn't want to go that route. i knew if i used it much, i'd end up permanently in it.

the new manual w/c goes 3x as far with one good push as other manual. weighs about 10 lbs. super easy for me to lean on bumper and toss into trunk. i use it at conventions in large hotels & mostly wheel myself. sometimes people offer to push and i let them. but the freedom this has given me is intoxicating!!!

if money is tight, even though i'm in love with my new w/c, my old manual worked well for me for about 8 yrs. and two of those years i taught preschool in it.
        at the time, it was around $200. not sure how much now.

check out a local pharmacy or store (cog fog, can't think of correct name for those type of stores for medical equipment )
        if you can, go in person to sit in and try out different types of w/c. there are soooo many! it'll be a lot like looking for a car. DON'T let them pressure you into something you don't love or can't afford.

being in a w/c isn't much fun, but being able to get around is worth the trouble.
        hope i've helped some.

take care & God bless you!
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Tyler - I am sorry to hear about your accident. I wonder if it would be easier for you to start with some PT at home?

Poohb3ar - Could you share the name/model of your chair? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Tyler - if you are going to start PT, talk to your therapist about the chair. When I got my manual wheelchair they assisted me in choosing one that would work for me. Fortunately, my insurance at the time covered it under durable medical equipment with my neuro's prescription. I got mine through Spinlife online. Good luck!

Comment

What kind of chair did you get?

What kind of chair did you get? I will keep that in mind about running it through PT. Tks.

Originally posted by gwynnf View Post
              Tyler - if you are going to start PT, talk to your therapist about the chair. When I got my manual wheelchair they assisted me in choosing one that would work for me. Fortunately, my insurance at the time covered it under durable medical equipment with my neuro's prescription. I got mine through Spinlife online. Good luck!
              - Tyler, DX- 06.1999

Comment

Originally posted by Piper79 View Post
                Tyler - I am sorry to hear about your accident. I wonder if it would be easier for you to start with some PT at home?

Poohb3ar - Could you share the name/model of your chair? Thanks in advance!
                Piper, sorry it took so long to get back to you!
                saw it late last night and couldn't find the name on my w/c without pulling it out!

It's a TiLite. Can't find what model, but googled it and it looks a lot like the TiLite Aero X.
                look for the lightweight ones. there are a lot of options with this brand.

You can literally take the whole thing apart with only a screwdriver or less! arm rest, cushions, footpedals, are all different accessories. without the arms on you can get some serious speed going if your arms are strong enough! i'd toyed with the idea of doing some of the walks/ runs for MS in it. haven't gotten the nerve up yet.

i researched here on MSW, this was a well liked w/c at the time (couple of yrs ago). mine is a used one, but you can't tell that it's 2nd hand at all. it made it a lot more reasonable.
                best of luck on finding the right one for you!

take care & God bless ya!
                "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

push assist

I have a wheel chair bound friend on FB. We talked about my problems getting my own fart cart(robo cart).....she said you can get something called push assist....it can go on the push handles or the wheels....easy to add.....weighs a few ounces....and it makes pushing your chair easy for you to do yourself if you dont have strength in your arms. Gives the freedom of a motorized but keeps you moving like a manual. Just google it....they arent very expensive....and some insurance does cover it.....and it doesnt stop you from doing the quick break down of chairs to put them in cars.

The one that goes on the push handles makes it easier if someone has to push you all the time and you are larger than they are makes it easier....sort of like the dif in power steering in a car and the old fashioned muscle it steering they had back in the 70's model cars....I learned to drive on one of them. Big difference. Yet you steered the same....

You can also get a combo model that works from both ends with a flip of a lever
                  I yam what I yam
                  and that's all
                  that I yam
                  ~Popeye

Comment

Good morning, just an update, I did get my wheelchair! I have a Quickie QRI, it makes everything way easier, should have done this years ago. I am getting sick of the sympathy looks and comments though, any advice on that one??? I was able to find a company here in Houston that would run it through Insurance, so that was a huge help. I appreciate all the advice y’all gave me!
                    Tyler
                    - Tyler, DX- 06.1999

Comment

Hi Tyler...sorry in the delay on a response, but I believe my wheelchair is also a Quickie. Which model I am not sure. It does breakdown so I an get it into the car by myself. As for the sympathy looks....you'll stop noticing them as time goes on. Usually it's the kids out of curiosity. I find though that I get much more assistance in stores from people when I am using my wheelchair than if I'm using the scooter. Why...I don't know, but some people are down right rude. Good luck and enjoy your chair! I'm hoping that I get enough strength back so I can ride on the back of the motorcycle this year.

Comment

Hey Tyler, I'm out of my chair for now but while I was in I found that yes there is the sympathy and the stares but at Walmart they walked right in front of me. Pushed their carts and expected me to get out if the way. The old people at SAMs Club did the same while I was using a walker. Don't even think of going meser the sample tables! They will push your chair out of the way there lol.
                        Anyway, I know this is going to sound stupid but I also remember Tiny Tim who said something like he hoped that when people saw him they would be grateful..I know Im paraphraseing..lol. You aren't faking your need for it. You need it. So don't apoligize! i found that I just needed to be more assertive and not let myself be around.
                        But I have to remind some people that are challenged that the Disabilities act gives us only equal access. It isn't a free pass to go to the front of the line.
                        Good Luck Tyler! Let me know his YA do!

**Edited by moderator in compliance with MSWorld guideline #4**

Comment

Working...
                        X