Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late Diagnosis Cost Me My Career, My Life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late Diagnosis Cost Me My Career, My Life...

Hello MS Friends,

My name is Lucie B, I just turned 48 and was diagnosed with MS in 2007. My life has been one living hell health wise!

From splitting, all out painful headaches that never go away, go to bed with them, wake up with them, intense pain in my eyes...so much pain that it sends me into a whirlwind of nausea and vomiting, and intractable insomnia....I never sleep! not night, not day! Its as if something has completely wiped out my circadian and sleep cycle..and nothing works!

Ive gone to neurologists for years and was told it was STRESS..that I needed to relax, on and on...I started having these symptoms way before 2007 and they were all dismissed as migraines, mild depression, etc....well, the scans taken a couple of weeks ago, CLEARLY show lesions from way before 2007...lesions in the corpus callosum, hypothalamic area...the parietal-temporal lobes teem with nodular and linear lesions...as well as the occipital areas.

Since after college, I had had some cognitive dysfunction...I did tell my doctors, but again, was told it was stress. When I started Medical School the symptoms became worse and worse, the stabbing eye pain and some eyelid and facial drooping were quite evident, but again, told it was migraines. I was finally diagnosed with optic neuralgia then later, optic neuritis...but the cognitive dysfunction continued...I could not read and comprehend well...I couldnt retain information read 1 min prior, I had the headaches that wouldnt go away, the insomnia became worse. The doctors said I had depression but I didnt!!

There was no reason for me to have depression because I was at the top of my game, besides having the health issues and the all out frustration of knowing something was wrong and no one being able to diagnose what was wrong with me. In December this year, I decided to be more aggressive and find more avant garde neurologists, who would really really LISTEN TO ME! I finally did! They did a battery of tests and scans and voila! LESIONS all over my brain, with some AV malformations in the occipital areas, on and on.

One of the reasons why I am opening up in the forum is because for years, I have felt so alone and felt so ashamed because I had to withdraw from my medical residency program because of the neurological problems I was having...and the shame of dropping out because I couldnt function cognitively as years before, nor was I able to tolerate the headaches and the insomnia. For the first time since medical school, I found doctors who listened to me, took me seriously and not dismissed my symptoms as stress and depression and UNDERSTOOD my feelings and frustrations over the years.

Had I been properly diagnosed and treated years ago, I would have still had my medical career! So to all my fellow MS Warriors and Survivors, find the kind of doctors that care and listen to you..not ones who make you feel like a number or crazy! To all the doctors out there, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT DISMISS OR MIGHT LIGHT OF A PATIENT'S SYMPTOMS...NO MATTER HOW TRIVIAL IT MAY BE!!Listen to every detail and take it serious! Please! I am in tears as I write this because all my life I have worked so hard to become a top notch physician...Years later, Ive come to find out, it wasnt stress or in my head...IT WAS MS!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
    Last edited by Seasha; 02-08-2015, 01:45 PM.

You have experienced too much unfairness and struggle. Your post makes that painfully clear. I am sorry that you had to travel through such a 'minefield' to discover that MS is a nasty, miserable thief and it is overstaying its visit with you. It has become an unwelcome guest with me , too.
    Glad that you found us. Your training in medicine may help others , here, who get lackluster advice from their physicians. I hope that your perspective will help some here.

Comment

Hello LucieB and welcome to MSWorld.

It appears you had a long and difficult road to diagnosis

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to have Multiple Sclerosis longer than the actual diagnosis date

There is no symptom(s) that are unique to MS and no single test, by it's self, that can indicate MS.

Each person with MS will experience the disease differently and the course the disease takes is also different. There is no way to know if you were diagnosed sooner if you would be better off now or if you would still be where you currently are with this disease

Take care
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi LucieB and welcome!

Thank you for sharing your candid story of your struggles to gain a diagnose. Sadly, many of us have similar stories, including myself.

I went through many strange episodes for 10 years before I got diagnosed, most often being told it was just stress. I used to ask myself the same question of whether I would be better off now had I gotten the dx sooner, but like Snoopy said, there is no definitive way to know.

But I agree with you in that we are our best advocates and should take measures to shop around to find a Doctor who listens and take our symptoms seriously!!

I am truly sorry that your goals in life that you set out for haven't manifested in the way you wanted. We get that and are here to lend support to you!

Please take care of yourself
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

LucieB,

My heart breaks reading your post. I am so sorry for what you have had to go through, but happy to see that you finally received the proper diagnosis. I can relate in that I had many strange symptoms dating back to my 20's (I am now 45) and they were always attributed to "stress"...I was never taken seriously If I had a dime for every time someone said I was "depressed"

I have also discovered that not all dr.'s are created equal. When I really started to go downhill about 3 yrs ago my first neuro totally missed my diagnosis. Misread test's...needless to say a total nightmare.

This board is fantastic. Everyone has their own unique experience with MS and you are sure to find someone (or many) to which you can relate.

Hang in there...yes I know that is easier said than done. But most importantly, take care of yourself

Beth

Comment

Im in tears reading all the replies to my Posts! Gosh Thank you so so much!!

I feel like I have found my family!!! Thank you so much for reading and understanding! To each of you, hang tight! We are all here to help and support one another!!! I want to give all of you a hug right now!!!!!! Please feel free to contact me to talk,etc...I am here to help anytime!!!!Thank you everyone!

Comment

Thank you Lucie for sharing!!

Thank you so much for sharing your story Lucie! Tears were welling in my eyes because your story is the first thing that made me feel normal since this dx. Im a very "Mr. Brightside" kinda girl, but my story is almost the identical mirror of yours.

Years of unnamable 'migraines', constant ocular pain, 'depression' and 'stress'- without ever feeling depressed or very stressed asides from not understanding what was going on with my head. Also knowing that I had what it took to be a phenomenal doctor and have it slip away in college with keeping up... the insomnia. all if really. The late diagnosis, corpus lesions.

The most frustrating aspect of MS for me has been the wide variety of symptoms. In that anything could have been, and could be a symptom. I don't ever want to blame MS for anything, but I don't want to ignore things either. Your post was like finding that last puzzle piece. I'm happy with my DMT treatment now and i know the past doesn't change anything. But the clarity feels so amazing. thank you so much again for sharing.

Comment

Dearest Julia, Oh I understand! I understand!

Thank YOU for reading, understanding, sharing and connecting! As I read your post, I started crying, because I so totally understand the pain of not knowing what was wrong with us all those years and knowing that we were capable of being amazing physicians...all to be taken away by this disease that was not diagnosed years back! Well, we are here today, alive and kicking! I turned my pain and my disease into something of a warrior life..and I hope you did too!! You are my MS sis from now on!! Fight on!! Hang on!!! Big hugs!!!
                LucieB

Comment

Working...
                X