New, Young and Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New, Young and Lost

Hi all. I'm Padfoot, I'm a 22 year old girl and live in the south of the United Kingdom. I've been suffering the effects of MS for around 5 years but was only diagnosed in September 2014 and have also got Fibromyalgia. I've joined to find some people in the same boat as me and hopefully make some new friends. I've had to put my studies on hold for the time being due to poor health and am struggling to come to terms with the "grief" of losing my previous life.

Thanks for reading x

Padfoot: I can understand watching the things you once loved slip away. You never get used to it, but you learn to deal with it, and do what you can do.

I however, am not newly diagnosed. I have been diagnosed for 11 years now. Use your support group here, find one in person through the NMSS. Talking to others with MS is the best way to go.

Glad you took that first step. I am sure others will chime in with suggestions and their stories.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I'm 51, was dx 5 years ago but looking back, I know I had this when I was a teen. My advice to you is to prepare. Study things that will allow you to work from home if/when the need arises. Financially, grow your savings, and try not to touch it for you may need it. Draw up a will. Take care of those things you don't want someone else to do.

It was 30 years before things started to fall apart. And time flies. For sure. There could be a cure, or better therapies to slow progression but don't rest on that. Be proactive now. It should make you feel more in control.

This may sound bleak, but it is the reality. And it's okay to grieve, we all do. Just don't stay there.

There are still good things to come.

Comment

Hello Padfoot and welcome to MSWorld.

I was diagnosed at the age of 24 with symptoms that went back to childhood. I am now 53.

am struggling to come to terms with the "grief" of losing my previous life.
        I am sorry.

Remember, Multiple Sclerosis is not who you are. Take heart, your life is only beginning
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yup. We're in the same boat.

Sorry that MS is your dx, but, i'm glad you found out what's going on. Sometimes, after being in limbo for awhile, a dx is more of a relief than a burden.

Come back and see us often.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your kind messages and suggestions. It means so much to know there is a way through this. x

Comment

Working...
            X