Re-introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-introduction

I haven't been around for a long time, nor was I ever around a whole lot in the first place, so I thought I'd do a new intro. I was diagnosed with MS in September of 2008, I've been on Copaxone and Avonex and am currently on Tecfidera. I'm currently in the process of being tested for Rheumatoid Arthritis, which only makes sense, because if they cure MS in my lifetime, I need to have a back up disabling disease. (Where's the "sarcasm" font?)
    A few months ago I was diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and Sleep Apnea and Hypopnia. Not a huge deal, though a tad terrifying that some on my apnea's are central, which means that rather than my airway closing being the issue, my brain is just not always telling me to breathe. So...that has been interesting!

I've had 3 surgeries in as many years due to degenerative joint disease and sacroiliitis. I was a totally healthy 31 year old woman 6 years ago. Like, I checked "no" on every box on those health history forms and had no need to have a medication list in my wallet. Crazy, right?
    So anyway, that's the majority of my health stuff. Beyond that I have a husband, an 18 year old daughter and a 4 year old son.
    9/08 Dx RRMS
    Current Meds: Tecfidera, Adderall, Baclofen, Neurontin, Cymbalta, Buspirone,

Hi Limpy-doo

I'm sorry to hear of all of your health issues in addition to the MS (as if that's not enough!). Can I ask a question? Did you fail all the DMDs before Tecfidera and are you doing ok on Tecfidera? You indicate you are RRMS and you're relatively young. I only ask because if you are failing drugs, are mobile and are considered RRMS, you might want to look into Dr. Burt's HSCT trial at Northwestern in Chicago. I just completed this (it is basically chemo with stem cell transplant but it sounds much scarier than it is) in September and, overall, am feeling better. It doesn't promise to reverse any disability but it has shown amazing results in halting further progression. He just published his Phase II clinical trial results in JAMA.

Just as an FYI, he also treats rheumatoid arthritis.

I'm not trying to sell you anything. I just feel that we need to be our own advocates and look elsewhere when the DMD options aren't panning out. If you're doing fine on Tecfidera, that's great. I failed Betaseron, Tecfidera and Copaxone so that's why I'm asking.

Anyway, I wish you the best of health and healing in 2015.

Comment

Working...
    X