New Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here

I think this is my first time here, but I've been on other MS related message boards in the past. I used to be involved with one that no longer exists and it was a wonderful place.

Some people didn't fit in there because of the philosophy. Things were not typically sugar coated, and there were no rainbows and unicorns. I liked that. I am a paramedic, and we are a really blunt bunch of folks. I am not great at sugar coating things.

About me: As I said previously, I am a paramedic (29 years) full-time. It may come to an end soon because I am starting to have some problems. That's okay. I planned for that by obtaining a B.S. in computer science. If I end up in a wheel chair, I can roll under a keyboard.

I'm 49 years old, married (19 years) to a wonderful wife, I have 2 children. I have a 16 year old daughter that is driving and dating. I have an 11 year old son that is all into video games. I got a little bit of a late start on this fatherhood thing. My family is my life. I know many people focus on their careers, and to an extent, I do too. I focus on it for the purpose of keeping my family up.

My wife just graduated nursing school in October. Our area is evidently saturated with nurses. So far, finding a job has proven to be an arduous task. She is also a paramedic, and has thought about getting back on an ambulance just to have a job. Our area is concentrating on hiring only BSN nurses.

My MonSter: I was Dx in may of 1996. I can't complain a whole lot because I've had a relatively light course of this disease. I've been on numerous DMDs. I'm currently 8 days into Aubagio. At day 29, I think it steps up to a higher dose. If anybody is on it and can let me know how you're doing with it, I would appreciate it. Like many people, my first Sx was numbness, coupled with some dizziness. After a few seconds, it was gone. Later I experienced Optic Neuritis, and was blind in my left eye for about 6 weeks. My vision is still not right in that eye, and I have loss of Red/Green color vision.

I have an excellent neurologist. She is very open-minded (except for cannabis) and will listen to my concerns. If I come to her with a proposal of trying something, she will listen and then either agree to it, or give me reasons (based off of evidence) as to why we shouldn't try it.

Other meds she keeps me stocked up on are Provigil, Zanaflex, and, most recently, Prednisone. I'm currently receiving IV Solu-Medrol. I'll finish my course on Friday, and then we'll see how my left leg is doing after that.

Not quite sure what else I can add, but feel free to hit me with questions. I'm not shy.

Chuck

Thanks for the hearty welcome!

<Crickets>

Comment

WELCOME TO MSWORLD! It is great to have you here, but we are sorry you had to be.
      I have two teenage kids myself, and I know all about the video games!
      congratulations to your wife. You sound like you have a fantastic outlook on this. It is a wonderful thing. I have never been on Abagio so I have no idea about it. I am on Provigil and also have a baclofen pump. Sometimes I think that those with an attitude like yours do very well with this whole MS thing that
      thank you for all your hard work as a paramedic, I have had a few experiences of my own with them, and they have all been good.
      Enjoy yourself while here and take a look around at everything there is to offer. Good luck.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Welcome! I'm not good at chit chat, so this won't be long. This board is packed with kind and supportive people. We all recognize that we come here with past experiences and a wide variety of circumstances which direct our decisions. There are several good paths to take when dealing with MS.

My husband has a CS degree and has worked for a huge global company for nearly 30 years. It's been very good for him and our family. Best of luck to you!

Paula

Comment

Hello cdsnov65 and welcome to MSWorld

Originally posted by cdsnov65 View Post
          Thanks for the hearty welcome!

<Crickets>
          Sometimes new member introductions aren't acknowledged as often as they should be. For myself, I don't check this forum on a regular basis. Sorry!

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Welcome Chuck.

Hope you will find MSWorld to be a wonderful place, as well, like the previous board you were on.

~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

New Here Also

Hi, my name is Kerri. I am 41 and I was diagnosed with MS this past December. I have 2 boys ages 22 and 16. My whole life revolves arounds my boys. I have been a stay home mom lucky enough to raise my boys and be involved in their lives. My husband owns his own business, he is a painting contractor. I do a lot of volunteer work for equal rights. I live in central Florida. I am very outgoing and I just have a love for life and people. I really don't know what else to say about myself or my life.

Comment

Hi Kerri and welcome to MSWorld.

I'm sure being newly diagnosed, you probably have a lot of questions. Be sure to check out the forums here on the message boards, and if you are so inclined, we have live chat also.

Our members are very helpful, chances are what you are going through, someone else has had a similar experience.

Feel free to ask those questions, we'll do our best to help you with answers.

Comment

Hi Chuck, I have found a lot of great info and support on these boards over the years. There is a folder specifically about Aubagio in the meds section, you might find something useful there from people currently on it.

For myself, I have been working full time, same job for over 10 years. Very few people I work with know I have MS, and I have never officially told the company or my bosses. When I start finding it difficult to be leading this life of secrecy I visit these boards. There are people here in all stages of MS, with so many different jobs and life situations. Also many different personalities. It helps me to get centered again and feel a least a little more connected. Like your post. So thank you!

Overall the board personality is to be supportive. I hope you find some pieces to your own puzzle.
                  Jam
                  DX'd MS 8/17/05
                  God never closes a door without at least cracking open a window.

Comment

Originally posted by Kmccoy View Post
                    Hi, my name is Kerri. I am 41 and I was diagnosed with MS this past December. I have 2 boys ages 22 and 16. My whole life revolves arounds my boys. I have been a stay home mom lucky enough to raise my boys and be involved in their lives. My husband owns his own business, he is a painting contractor. I do a lot of volunteer work for equal rights. I live in central Florida. I am very outgoing and I just have a love for life and people. I really don't know what else to say about myself or my life.
                    Welcome Keri. Hope you come back often!
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Chuck,
                      I've found a ton of info & lots good solid advice here.
                      I'm taking Aubagio too. I'm around the middle of week 4, and have had no noticeable side effects at all. (Big giant sigh of relief) Did you start with the 7mg and are stepping up to the 14? I started with 14.
                      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Welcome!

And I had to LOL at the "late start to fatherhood" thing. I'm 41 and my kids are 5 and 2
                        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
                        X