Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Hello I am 20 years old and have recently been diagnosed with MS. I am a college student but since my mom works there I still live at home so I can have free tuition. It is weird everyone that I have told about my diagnosis is more scared about it than I am. Can anyone tell me how I was suppose to react to the news, because judging from my family I didn't react properly?

There is no "right" way to react. I believe that however we react, the family will do the opposite. If we are calm, they will think we are in denial. If we panic they will reassure us that everything is fine and panic while we are not looking.

I liked the advice I read on a different MS website that said the worst advice you can get is to take your time and grieve. They believe that fighting it from the beginning is the best approach through healthy diet, exercise, meditation, and medication. I know MS is unpredictable, but a healthy lifestyle and attitude can't hurt.

Comment

Yes, there is no right way to react to a MS diagnosis. You take it how ever you want, MS can become your new hobby, just not one you ever wanted. It is not the end of your life, just may change the path you take. With a positive attitude you should do well. Your family will handle it good once they realize you are doing well with it.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Hello Mel

Welcome to MS World - nice to meet you!

Your reaction to the diagnosis is your reaction - there is no right or wrong.

Your family loves you and that's their reaction about your diagnosis.

Most people think of the worst case scenarios when it comes to MS. But MS affects each individual in it's own unique way. And each individual learns to deal with the particular ways MS affects them.

None of us has a crystal ball

Hopefully you will benefit from the various forums. There's lots of interesting topics and information, as well as terrific support. Feel free to ask questions, and we'll be glad to help you if we are able.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I had much the same reaction as you did. Okay now what do I do. It's only been 7 weeks for me. But the nurses at work and my family are devastated. I'm just gald I have a reason for all this weirdness.

Hope you have a smooth ride. Well at least a positive outlook ride.

Nice to meet you.
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses it really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel1990 View Post
              It is weird everyone that I have told about my diagnosis is more scared about it than I am. Can anyone tell me how I was suppose to react to the news, because judging from my family I didn't react properly?
              I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't want to say that ignorance is bliss but that is the situation I am in because I am totally outside the demographic; I am male, have lived in south Texas all of my life (so plenty of sunshine), and I am Hispanic. As a result, MS was completely outside of my realm of experiences.

Comment

Yeah I'm a 20 year old female living in the heart of Texas but most people I know have family or friends with MS and I even have had it on both sides of my family but I didn't really know what it was til he said I have it and I started researching.

Comment

There isn't one correct way to react. Some people pick their drug before leaving the doctor's office, go right home and paint everything orange. Others crawl into bed and cry. If you feel OK with it,cool. If you feel angry or sad that's cool,too. Tomorrow you may feel differently.

I agree and disagree with the advice Splendid read. You should definitely allow yourself to feel whatever you feel about the situation. Even if you don't really feel much of anything about it right now. Grieving takes many forms and it has its part in the acceptance process. Maybe you grieve 5 seconds, maybe 5 years.For some,it's a lifetime ebb and flow of various emotions as the disease changes. Point is, grieving doesn't mean you aren't also taking care of yourself or "fighting".

On the other hand, it wouldn't be good to allow yourself to slip into depression or unhealthy habits without help or treatment of some kind.

The reactions of others are their responsibility. You don't have to feel the same way or feel responsible for making them understand. They are adjusting to this,too. Don't worry about how it might be different from your feelings about the diagnosis. Some of it comes from their fears for you and your future. It may take a while for them to see you haven't changed. The only thing you can do is educate them as best you can about MS and let them know what exactly your feelings are.

Until my family learned more, they were the same way. I don't think a day went by when someone didn't say I was "brave" or a "a real fighter". My mother tried to do things for me that I was perfectly capable of doing. She'd ask if it was Ok for me to do things or eat the way I do. It took them quite a while to adjust. I'm not brave and I'm not fighting. I'm just living the way I always have, just a little differently. My outlook on it happens to be perfectly expressed by a line from one of our favorite Clint Eastwood movies, "Heartbreak Ridge". You "improvise,overcome,adapt".

MS isn't going to kill you, just change the way you do some things.

Comment

Working...
                  X