A Geezer Caregiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Geezer Caregiver

Hi all! I'm a 71 year old living in Minnesota, my wife was diagnosed with MS in 1988, she's been wheelchair bound for the last 18 years. We have grown kids that don't live nearby, we have a sweet German Shepherd mix dog and a cat.
    My wife has no bladder control and has a catheter, she has no bowel control which can sometimes get messy. We use a Hoyer lift to get her into and out of bed and also to use the commode. Her legs are totally useless.
    taking care of her is a full time job, I do all the cooking, cleaning and yard work. It's pretty much impossible to leave the house for more than a half hour.
    Needless to say MS has taken its toll on our lives.
    I signed on to this site to see how others cope, I feel so alone in this whole issue.

Hi DennisH,

I have MS and got diagnosed a year ago. I am so sorry to hear about your wife's progression over the years. I just want to commend you on what you are doing for your wife. That is so loyal and sweet of you, but it must be very hard and I bet you get really tired.

Is there anyone in your family or a friend who can help more often? Not sure if this is financially possible but have you ever considered a home nurse or home care person coming by a few times a week maybe even for 1/2 the day? This way it could give you a break and some rest.

I really wish the best for you and your wife!
    Nikki

Comment

Welcome! This is a wonderful place to come for support.
      Pam
      RRMS diagnosed 2005
      Rebif 2005-2008
      Copaxone 2009-2014
      SPMS 2014

Comment

Hi Dennis,
        Your story like so many really touches our hearts. You are such a wonderful husband.

I know it's not easy for the caregivers as the MS as you say takes a toll on their lives as well.

I would suggest checking around in your community for help. Like previously suggested, there are agencies that can come in and help out. Contact the MS Society at 1-800-fightms and see what programs they may have to offer.

Other agencies that might have some financial assistance available to you if you would need it are the MS Foundation 888-673-6287 and MSAA 800-532-7667.

We also have a live chat on Wed night at 8pm EST just for caregivers. It is hosted by a wonderful Mom to a young lady with MS.

I'm glad that you found our site. Feel free to vent or to ask questions. We are here for you.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the 'boards', DennisH. I am sorry that you and your wife are saddled with this. You are a 'hero' for being the caregiver in your wife's life. I have had MS for 6 years and my family is having a tough time coping with the ever changing MS stuff. Everyone on this board knows the 'pain' that MS causes. Keep up the good fight. Good luck.

Comment

Hi and Welcome,
            I am so sorry this miserable disease has taken such a toll on you and your wife. I'd urge you to look into respite care for her so you can have a few minutes to take care of yourself.

Providing daily care for someone requires a team. Perhaps social workers at a local community hospital could assist you with investigating services that you qualify for and also consider contacting the National MS Society .

I hope you are able to find some support. Be well, Jules
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X