Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly Diagnosed with MS

Howdy, my name is Dave, and I'm 40 y/o.

The symptoms started about 4 years ago. I worked in a pressure cooker environment (sometimes 100 hr weeks), and so I wrote off all my symptoms to stress and being tired. I would get double vision, headaches, and balance problems.

After those 4 years, I started having a problem when I lowered my head, that my would get a zap/tingling straight down my legs. So I went to my family physician, and he sent me over to a Neuro for a possible pinched nerve. The Nuero immediately ordered an MRI on my brain and 4 days later was back in his office and he was showing my all the lesions on my brain. I gave him my backstory on the symptoms, and he ordered a spinal tap (not that bad) and it confirmed MS. Of course he ordered the usual Lyme disease, Vitamin B stuff to be sure.

So I started with Tecfidera (luckily I've had no side effects besides a flushing face for a few minutes), Baclofen, and Nuerontin for when i get the pain in my feet. It's worked very well.

I also got a rowing machine to stretch and push myself. I LOVE the stock market, so it's perfect that I can get up at 6am, turn on CNBC, and row for 30 minutes before work. Speaking of which, I quit that high stress job.

I have good days and bad days, but all in all, I'm handling it well.

Sorry for the novel, and glad to meet everyone! Hopefully I learn from everyone here, make some friends, and also help others.

Thanks for reading!

Dave Kennedy

Welcome to MSWorld, David!

You can learn a lot here, and will find lots of support.

It sounds like you are off to a good start - on treatment, exercising, removing yourself from a too-stressful environment at work.

Comment

Hello Dave and welcome to MSWorld.

I started having a problem when I lowered my head, that my would get a zap/tingling straight down my legs.
      This is what is called lhermittes sign. When related to Multiple Sclerosis it is caused by lesions on the cervical spine.
      http://www.msfocus.org/article-detai...?articleID=331

I also got a rowing machine to stretch and push myself. I LOVE the stock market, so it's perfect that I can get up at 6am, turn on CNBC, and row for 30 minutes before work
      That's awesome, Dave.

I swear by exercise. I have done some sort of exercise since I was diagnosed. Currently I use an Elliptical and weight train (we have a 4 station weight machine).

Take care!
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Welcome to MS World Dave! Lots of us find out by surprise that we have MS. What a whack in the head, right? Anyway I am glad you have found us as a source of support. Ask and answer questions, look around and check out our chat rooms too.

Hope your good days are more than the bad.

Take care
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Hey David I am Wolfy and I am 34 I ws diagnosed one week ago

Comment

Hi Dave! Nice to meet you, but sorry you also are dealing with MS (ugh, right?) I agree that avoiding stress and getting exercise is super important. Lots of good info on here, and great for venting when friends and family just don't get it.
            RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
            X