Hello everyone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone...

I'm happy to have found this forum and the information and support it provides. I have just been diagnosed with MS and, as most of you probably are doing or have done, I am currently going through the whole gamut of emotional responses that come along with that kind of news. Denial, anger, depression, defiance, etc.

At least the diagnosis explains that there is a real cause for all the little things that have been making me feel "not quite right" off & on for many years now...the extreme fatigue, dizziness, tendency to mix up words or syllables, forgetfulness, and the general foggy-brained feeling. My PCP never found a cause for these things in my bloodwork and after that I think she just kind of dismissed it as "you're stressed" or "you work too much" or "you need more sleep". All true, but somewhere inside I knew that it was more than just that and at least now I know what it is.

After years of low-grade annoying symptoms - during which I never even suspected MS as I didn't know much about it - this summer I experienced an attack whereby I started bumping into walls & doorframes because I couldn't walk a straight line; fell down a few times because I couldn't keep my balance; and had double vision and almost like a lag between when I'd move my eyes and when the image would catch up. PCP told me to see my eye dr., eye dr. saw the issues with my eyes and referred me to a neuro-opthamologist, who ordered MRI's and diagnosed "CIS at high risk for MS" and prescribed the steroid treatment which finally helped bring me to a more normal state. Still not full remission, but worlds better than before. She also ran bloodwork to test for other mimickers - all negative.

After that I found a well-regarded neuro-immunologist who went through my scans and my full medical history in detail, and she confirmed that I do indeed have MS and have had it since 2007. Up until recently it hasn't been terribly active so hopefully that is a good sign, but now that I know I will be starting treatment so as to hopefully delay the next big relapse. It was only about three months between the start of this last big attack and the prior episode which at the time I did not recognize for what it was.

In the meantime I am trying to learn as much as I can, to keep a positive attitude (that's hard sometimes but I keep reminding myself that it could always be much worse!), and to gradually return to the activities I enjoy - photography, hiking, etc. I'm still not confident enough to get back on my bike - I'd probably tip right over - but maybe someday.

Anyway, it always helps to have people to talk to - even virtually - who have some idea what you're going through, so I'm glad to "meet" you all who are stuck on this journey too. I look forward to learning your stories as well.
    Sx since 2007; Dx Oct. 2014. Started Copaxone after Dx...praying that it's working!
Working...
X