Newly Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly Diagnosed

I am 44 years old and was recently diagnosed with MS. Late last year, I started having tingling in my right hand and it was suggested I go see a neurologist. After an MRI showed two areas of inflammation, the neurologist said it was likely that I have the disease.

My primary care physician thought I should get a second opinion and I did. The second neurologist agreed after looking at my MRI scans that I had MS. As a result, I will be starting Tecfidera in a few weeks and will be changing my diet and starting a regular exercise routine. This is all I know to do. I am hoping they'll be a cure within the next few years (as I am sure we all are).

Right now, I am still processing all this and look forward to reading other people's stories. I am still nervous about going on a drug indefinitely and will also be exploring other holistic options besides diet and exercise.

I am wondering if MS is caused by toxins or metals in the body. I have been reading a few books which give environmental causes for the disease. It may just vary from person to person. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and hear what others had to say about any treatments that may be working for them that are not medicine-related. All the best!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi Marcsbey,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is good you are starting a treatment plan with a specific medicine which can help delay the progression. Eating a balanced diet including dark, green vegetables, and fruit is helpful. Exercise is really important to keep the legs moving, to be more flexible and helps improve blood circulation.

I am not familiar with many holistic approaches except massage or acupressure for spasticity, if you have that symptom. Spasticity is stiffness (muscle tightness caused by impaired nerves) that can occur in the feet, legs, arms, back, neck, almost anywhere. I have a lot of spasticity in my legs so I have to keep active and I take a muscle relaxer at night to ease some of the stiffness. It helps me be more flexible.

As for other medicines, I take Rebif as my MS medicine. It has been working great. I am also newly diagnosed since the Fall 2013.

You will find on this site that each person is unique in what treatment plan works for them to manage symptoms.

Best wishes! Nikki
    Nikki

Comment

Working...
    X