Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn about me

Hello friends,
    My name is Amber and I am 22 years of age, my birthday is coming up in October and I am going to Las Vegas for the first time ever, I am very excited. I graduated high school and went to a ten month vigorous photography school which I graduated from in 2009. Started working right away for various photo studios and did that for 4 years but realized I wasn't making any money. So in March 2013 I started working in a call center for a big bank. Very different jobs! Lol but this one pays me very well and amazing benefits.

So it's been almost two years at my desk job which I do a 4/10 scheduled, meaning I work four, ten hour days. It's a lot of sitting still.

Back in August I began having problems with my sciatica, realized I needed to have better posture at work and the pain in my legs went away very quickly once I became aware of my bad sitting habits.

I was fine until one day early September I couldn't walk. I felt the most horrifying pain in my left leg and everyone at work was scared I had a blood clot and convinced me to go to the doctor.

They ruled out fracture or blood clot and referred me to a neurologist. They can't see me until October 8th, cutting it really close to my birthday plans.

The pain and limping went on for two weeks. I could not take time off from work my life was a living hell.

My symptoms progressed so fast, first a deep ache in the middle of my left shin bone, on to a sharp sharp, tightening pain, same spot. I was suffering from drop foot, could not lift my left foot off the ground at all.

I went to the hospital where I was treated like ****, they thought I was lying about my symptoms when all my tests came back negative. All they did was am ultrasound to again rule out a blood clot, another X-ray, and blood work. I begged to see their on-call neurologist but they refused.

I've lost all feeling along my shin bone and I feel tingles and spasms, mostly at night, but the pain and inability to walk just vanished one day. I still feel the burning on my shin sometimes when I walk, but I can walk! For two weeks straight I couldn't walk without a limp or a cane.

Everyone stated at me at work and I felt like a freak, I couldn't even tell them what was wrong with me.

My friend let me borrow her tens unit and I noticed that my left leg really couldn't feel the electro shocks unless I customized the settings to 20, I tried it on my right leg and wow at 2 I could feel it.

So it's pretty obvious to me that I have nerve damage affecting my left leg but had it been a pinched nerve in my sciatica could it really just go away as abruptly as it began?

I cannot wait to see the neurologist, I am constantly fatigued in ways others just simply don't understand. I stopped saying "I'm tired" to my girlfriend because her response bothered me every time she would say "your always tired"

Sometimes in my days off I sleep 12 to 15 hours and still wake up tired.

Anyways, I know it's a long intro, but it's my life right now and it's been a rough 3 weeks for me. My performance at work suffered because of the pain I was in.

I'm very much into my job though, I want to be a manager. I love my cat, she is my best friend, I rescued her from an accident, I watched her mother get run over by a speeding pick up truck trying to make a red light, I stopped my car in the middle of the road and cried so hard for the cat he just hit and noticed a ball of fur lying next to the cat. It was a 4 week old kitten! The momma ran away with her injuries before animal rescue got there and I took the kitten home.

Her name is Orphan and she has helped me cope with being in bed a lot lately.

Thank you for reading my intro, I wanted to start here so I can read though the forums and post more about my dx after I finally see the neurologist.

Bless you all!

Oh and

The awful hospital diagnosed me with peripheral neuropathy and sent me home even though I begged for an MRI. I wanted them to give me answers, why was I randomly suffering from peripheral neuropathy? They sent me home with a pain med called tamerol which did absolutely nothing for the pain.

Comment

Hi Amber,

Welcome, although we all wish circumstances of meeting were different. Congrats on rescuing Orphan, you have found a true friend, I’m sure.

Thankfully, you appear to have health insurance with your job. That is incredibly important. Hang in there. While waiting to see your neuro be sure to do all the things you know for good health. Proper rest and diet, lower stress as best you can, make sure your vitamin D is adequate and don’t be afraid of supplementing to ensure you get around 5,000 IU of Vit D per day.

Discretion about what you share at work may be a good idea; it sometimes pays to be cautious so your job isn’t put in jeopardy by what is hopefully a short-term health issue. Longer-term issues can be managed successfully, also. Perhaps, not everyone you work with or for will understand that.

I couldn't tell you about all the people treated as you were at the hospital. My wife, who has MS was treated the same. If they don't have the ability to diagnose the problem the attitude conveyed is .... We are so incredibly talented, if there was something wrong with you we would have identified it,
      therefore, you must be the problem.

Try not to worry; help is on the way. Be absolutely certain to keep your appointment, even if you have an amazing recovery before you appointment. A decent neuro will likely identify the problem and formulate a plan of action. Something is wrong and identifying the problem can almost be a relief when you know what to battle.

Thank you for introducing yourself, Amber.

We are pulling for you.

Comment

Hi Amberoniii,

Welcome to the group and thanks for sharing. I am sorry for what you are going through right now. That sounds tough but I am so glad you are able to walk again....great news!

Keep us posted on what the Neuro doc says next month. That is really important to know what is going on and the doc most likely will run the specific tests you need. Be sure to tell the doc everything you have experienced lately. It may take a while to find out the answer, whether it's minor or something more, but either way there are treatment plans to manage symptoms.

Wishing you the best! Nikki
        Nikki

Comment

Just wanted to tell you that your kitty story totally melted my heart!

Wishing you well on your journey.
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you to everyone

I wanted to thank everyone who has showed me their support, it really does help cope with the waiting and the not knowing. Orphan gets bragged about often because she is the most amazing cat ever, so thank you to those who were pleased with her rescue story it's good to know I'm not alone in this phase of the dark, deep, scary unknown. I need to remember to be brave, like Captain Janeway, and I can and will get through this!

I will absolutely be keeping my approaching appointment, I used to bad at going to doctors, I hadn't been in 5 years, but this is something I need to know. Currently the only neuropathy symptom I'm having is the complete loss of feeling when I stroke my finger up and down my left shin. I've never experienced numbness that wasn't done by a doctor so it just totally weirds me out.

I'm gonna stay strong knowing whatever it is I'm sure there will be a community of supporters like us

Comment

Work

Great advice from Nikki and Myoke! If it turns out you have MS, you can live very successfully with this disease until there's a cure. No cure exists now, but breakthrough research suggests different ways to deal with MS are in sight.

If you are still functioning without accommodations, you might want to "un-tell" your work friends, keep discussion at a minimum. It doesn't sound like your job requires a lot of strength or coordination, in fact it sounds just about perfect for someone with potential mobility issues.

I also loved your cat story. Funny how an animal can find you just when you really need him or her. Best wishes for definitive diagnosis and, if necessary, forging a working alliance with your neurologist.

Comment

Working...
              X