Visited often - time to introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visited often - time to introduce myself

I have read messages here for about one year and the people are wonderful and the MS World website is a Godsend. I'm one of the lucky ones if you can consider anything about MS lucky!

I was diagnosed in 2007 after several panic attacks, falls and extreme memory issues. Our family physician recognized a problem after taking one look at my hand writing and ordered an MRI. When the results came back and it appeared that I had MS he referred me to a neurologist who confirmed the diagnosis through an analysis of my spinal fluid (via a lumbar puncture). We decided that the best treatment for me at the time would be Copaxone so I began the daily shots. My husband took the job of giving me the shots which became somewhat of a ritual with us.

I continued to work for another year and in 2008 when I was 55 I became eligible for retirement from the Federal Government. By that time people I had trained in the past now had to retrain me just so I could finish out the year. Unfortunately, because of my MS diagnosis I missed being eligible for long term care insurance by about two months. I agree with everyone who has commented that long term disability insurance is important so if you have the opportunity to obtain do it!

I was able to tolerate the Copaxone injections for several years but began to experience "needle fatigue" and since I had not had any relapses stopped the injections for several months. I told my neurologist what I had done and he told me that he guaranteed that I would be in a wheelchair if I didn't resume taking them so I resumed my daily ritual. Fortunately the first oral medication (Gelenya) was soon available so I was able to stop the shots in early 2012. An unfortunate side effect for me was an extremely low heart rate leaving me even even more fatigued and breathless after short exertion. I will post more about my experiences with Gelenya on that thread.

In 2013 I began taking Tecfidera and have had limited side effects and hopefully good results. I continue to keep myself in good physical condition as possible by going to the gym at least a couple of times per week with my husband and I'm currently taking a yoga class as well. I guess I'm trying to achieve as good a balance as possible between exercise and fatigue!

I have not had any relapses but suffer from fatigue, heat and what I believe may be UV sensitivity. We lived in Phoenix for 32 years but after my diagnosis we moved to a mountain community nearby to get relief from the heat I enjoy gardening and training and loving my three dogs.

My husband and I have been married 39 years, and we have a 29 year old son and wonderful daughter in law. My outlook continues to be positive and my cognitive issues seem to have improved. I remain active in my community by volunteering at the local food bank and am active in my church as well.

I'm not sure I would be where I am on my MS journey without the loving support of my husband.

Hello and Welcome. I agree with you how wonderful and what Godsend this site is.
    Once again WELCOME! Please post often and keep your positive attitude it is very refreshing.
    PEACE
    Tortis

Comment

Yes; welcome. So glad for your positive outlook. I tend to have that too (usually; I went through a period when MS severely affected our marriage, but we are through that now), and I can't imagine life without remaining positive.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
      X