Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diagnosed...

Hi,
    I was JUST diagnosed in the past week with MS and don't think that the news has really set in yet. My only symptoms are weak/tired/fatigued legs and a numbness and tingling in my legs and feet. My walking/gait is what triggered me to seek a neurologist and go thru the testing to get to this diagnosis.

My question (well, I have a ton of them - but this first one) is WHEN do I tell people? Of course, my parents, husband, kids (13 & 15), sister and best friend know, and one co-worker who I trust - but that's it. Still need to tell my in-laws but how about work people, like my boss? My walking/gait is fairly noticeable so I know that people are concerned.

Thank you, I am nervous, scared and hopeful all at the same time about this turn my life has just taken. I am confident that I will learn a lot here.

Tara

I don't think there is a right answer to this one. I have been diagnosed for 15 years but the first 10 were pretty benign. I also went on to get married, become an assistant principal and counselor and no one i worked with even knew I had MS except close friends.

Five years ago, it became much more obvious so I had to tell people more. Looking back, I think it is something that has to come naturally. When it became more of a constant thought in my mind, I began to talk about it more.

Do what feels right to you. No one has the right to know before you are ready to tell them. It is kind of big deal to find out so just take some time to adjust to it before you think about who you have to tell.

You make the decisions about that.

Krystine
    Diagnosed 2000 RRMS. Copaxone 2000 - 2010 Rebif 2010 - 2013 Copaxone 2013 - 2014 Tecfidera October 2014
    "You can't appreciate the good days without the bad ones."

Comment

Hi and WELCOME! I sure wish it was for a different reason though.
      If I were you right now I would only tell people that need to know or can give you support in any way. The MonSter can affect your health insurance, and your job,yes I know its not supposed to but it often does and there are many other things you should check out at a slow pace and find out if telling will give you problems. As far as I know you do not have to tell anyone anything unless it affects your performance.
      Staying positive will help you more than anything. I am not trying to be paranoid just want you to take your time and I think it will make it easier.

PEACE

Tortis

Comment

Thank you - I do think that I will wait to tell my employer...for as long as I can at least.
        I am in marketing and plan events for my job quite often so eventually I will have to let them know. I don't carry the health insurance, my husband does so that is one less worry.
        I start Rebif soon, and will see how that goes first. We are also leaving on a 12 day trip to Italy in less than 2 weeks. (20 yr anniversary trip that was planned way before all this hit the fan!). I mostly want to enjoy this trip of a lifetime as much as I can.

I'm all over the place, sorry but I appreciate the support I can already see here on this board.

Comment

Working...
        X