New to this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this...

Hi All! I am newly diagnosed, well it feels like this has been going on for awhile now,but it was confirmed through review of lab tests just this past week. Now I am in process of picking which medication to go on.

It all started about a year ago, I guess i had what I now know is called a relapse, flare, exacerbation which I went to the doctor to get checked out. She sent me for an MRI to "rule out" MS, which actually ruled it in. I have since had bloodwork, evoked potential and a lumbar puncture.

I am also now hyperaware of any symptoms that may be MS, likely a bit overzealous and paranoid. I've been doing lots of research and came across this website when I was googling about tecfidera and gilenya.

All this research is really starting to scare me with the unpredictableness of MS and possible disease course really hitting home.

Hi Erinn,

Welcome to the group! You will get a lot of help and questions answered. Considering a good, reliable medicine is important for managing MS.

I totally understand what you are feeling-I got diagnosed almost a year ago and it is scary to think about all the what ifs in the future and whys but try to take one day at a time. Remember too you are not alone.

First I was on Copaxone for several months but switched to Rebif over 3 months ago & this has been more effective in delaying the relapses. Each person will have a different experience with a medicine so give something a try for a while to see how it can help you.

Best wishes in your decisions & talk to you later! Nikki
    Nikki

Comment

Welcome, Erinn. I hope you'll come back often.
      Originally posted by erinnn View Post
      She sent me for an MRI to "rule out" MS, which actually ruled it in
      Wow. Not what you'd hoped for, maybe. But, for me, I was just glad to get a dx, so that I knew what I had and was able to begin treating it.
      Originally posted by erinnn View Post
      All this research is really starting to scare me with the unpredictableness of MS and possible disease course really hitting home.
      I know. Scary. But, what I've found, is that, it just becomes life. And, just as I coped with the upredictiableness of college, career, parenting, becoming a home-owner, etc, I coped with the unpredictableness of MS.

After awhile, it begins to become a bit more predictable.

I hope the research is helping you, in that way. For me, it did. It made things a little more predictable, because knowledge, for me, is less scary that the total unknown.

Keep us posted. Let us know how you're doing. And, if you have questions, please ask.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks so much to both of your for the support. I feel lucky to have found this site.

Comment

Working...
        X