Is it me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me?

I have probably spent about two hours a day on this board learning more and more about MS after my diagnosis a couple of weeks ago. I am repeatedly struck by the intelligence and willingness of members to discuss and answer questions.

My greatest fear right now is that because of the late onset diagnosis of my MS I am 56, my doc is starting the clock and my disease right now and since I'm in the midst of an episode of her flair and haven't started moving out of it yet I'm wondering if I ever well. My question is this;

Do remissions start slowly and build or do you just wake up one morning and feel significantly better?

My biggest issues are brain, fatigue, numb leg and tightness in my throat.

Thank you

Hello frosty123,

I don't know how long you have been in an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up) but there is no time frame for how long it may last.

The exacerbation that got me diagnosed lasted through the diagnostic process (3 months) and extended another 6 weeks with recovery taking approximately a year.

Do remissions start slowly and build or do you just wake up one morning and feel significantly better?
    The answer may be different for each person but my "remissions" happened slowly and in tiny steps.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi frosty,
      One thing that I have learned dealing with MS for a few years now, is patience.

We never know how long a flare will last or what course it will take.

But hang in there - work with your medical team and focus on yourself and getting through this.

And in the meantime, hang around with us. Our members are great - we "get it" and are happy to share experiences and helpful tips when we can.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is a fair representation as it could be due to switching from Rebif to Copaxone but as you suggested, I woke up one day and realized I didn't feel like total garbage. Then my days went from feeling like different levels garbage every day to actually having good days.

That was 7 years ago and yes, there are days (or periods of a few days) where I would prefer not to wake up at all, but that's not even close to the majority of the time. I've had flares but no steroid-worthy one since Jan/09. I also have new lesions on my brain but none on the spine.

I hope you find the right med and start seeing a bit of improvement soon! Meanwhile keep reaching out, there is no dumb question when it comes to this crazy disease.
        Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you

Probably 5 months of fighting the exhaustion, same for foggy brain, 3 months leg numbness/cold, 2 months tight throat. Doc said lesion on spine and brain responsible.

I would really like to go back to work on Monday, can't fathom that in present fatigue level. Spirit is willing...

Thoughts on going on a low dose of ADD medications???? Just to see???

Will ask my doc who offered steroid injections, but would be interested in trying first.

I love you for reading. Xx Maggi

Comment

Originally posted by frosty123 View Post
            Thoughts on going on a low dose of ADD medications???? just to see???
            The treatments to try for fatigue include (in no certain order):
            - Provigil
            - Nuvigil
            - ADD medications
            - Amantadine ( anti-viral medication). Older and not really used much anymore.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
            X