Coming "Out" at Party tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming "Out" at Party tonight

Hello everyone, it's been 3 months since dx'd and I haven't told most of my friends yet. There's a party tonight, annual get together of many of my friends and although my symptoms have improved. Outside in the heat and humidity my illness will be Obvious.

So I guess I am coming "out" tonight. I plan on wearing the most fashionable cooling vest around in khaki Tank, shorts and again fashion forward shoes of Crocs! Need to or I won't be able to walk to the picnic bench LOL.

I have found out that there are outlets available and will be taking a fan and a cooler of ice to recharge my cooling vest inserts (fortunately I have 2 sets).

Any other coping suggestions?

I have missed many activities and events since my dx and I am determined to get to this annual picnic.

I am doing my best to toss aside my self consciousness, but with the vest and all those bruises and welts from my injection sites, plus the acne from the drugs, it's hard. Not to mention my slightly drunken gait.

I am looking for some encouragement from my fellow MSers.

some energy conservation

When I have things like this going on, I am at a stage that I basically do nothing all day long. I do the basics in life like dress, bath (early), eat (easy cooking), and not much else so that I have all my energy for a party or event.

I get tired of doing nothing by the time the party or event happens. But, I have the energy to enjoy it.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Hi Kaitar,
      There's no time like the present to inform your friends. It may feel kind of awkward, but I'm sure they will be a bit curious yet very understanding. It will be a big relief for you since you can just give in to the symptoms you may be experiencing. Trying to hide your problems can be exhausting.

I have an event in a couple of weeks where I will need to disclose and explain away. All the previous events with this group were celebratory occasions so I didn't want to be a downer. I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago and still have some work to do. Good Luck

Paula

Comment

Kaitar

Awesome! Have a great time. I am also planning on coming out when I go to Florida, vest in all. Be prepared for questions, but sounds like you already are good to go. Enjoy yourself, we all deserve it. The MonSter is only as powerful, mentally, as we allow it. Let us know how much fun you have.

Comment

Thank you for your kind words.

I am taking it very easy today and plan to nap shortly so I will not be a wilted dish rag when the party starts at 6pm.

Comment

How did it go? I really hope you had a good time!
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Went pretty well

We arrived around quarter to six and I walked up all decked out in cooling vest. Answered the questions about my "kevlar" and blurted it was for the MS. Silence took those who were already there and I was given several wide eyed stares, then a bunch of hugs and offers of support.

Overall, I would say it went very well. I only lasted until 10 pm and slept all the way home. Today I am pretty useless, but I did have a good time and it was so NICE to interact with people outside for a change. Helped no end with the isolation I have been feeling.

Thanks for all your support.

Comment

If keeping your illness to yourself has been a burden, this can release that weight. Once they know, no more secrets.

Hope your "coming out" party goes well.

~ Faith
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                X