Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I get a second opinion?

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have not been diagnosed with MS, but am really starting to think that I may have it.

Back in November of last year, I was hospitalized in Emergency with a suspected seizure (which I don't have much memory of the details). After many months of waiting to see a Neurologist, I finally had an MRI. The results showed blurry regions in my brain, but the Neurologist who analyzed the results said it was unlikely MS.

Now, several months later, after receiving no real diagnosis and my seizure incident being put down to "myoclonic jerks due to stress" and "possible brain-damage from birth", I am starting to believe otherwise. I am experiencing the following symptoms:

-Progressively worsening myoclonic jerks (especially at night time when trying to get to sleep)
    -Extreme fatigue, particularly worse after physically over-exerting myself
    -Muscle stiffness
    -Blurred vision (worse when I am tired)
    -Consistently high body temperature
    -Vertigo and problems keeping my balance
    -Irregular bowls (constipation and diarrhea)
    -Problems concentrating and remembering things
    -Periods of manic-like behaviour and emotional instability

I am wondering if I should get a second opinion? I am really starting to worry about these symptoms, but a diagnosis of MS would help explain a lot of these issues in my life. Was anyone else in a similar situation before their diagnosis? Any input would be very helpful

Definitely get a second opinion. You may need your actual MRI scan to be reread or have another. Sounds as if you may be back here looking for some help.
    Try getting someone who deals with MS specifically.
    My best to you. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I think a second opinion from a neurologist is a good idea. it may be an even better idea to get a consultation with a neurologist at a university hospital. MS is a tricky disease to disgnose. You need to consult doctors who have experience with MS diagnosis. There are neurologists that specialize in MS. Good luck

Comment

I would make an apt for an MS neuro in your area. All your symptoms may or may not be due to MS.

I wish you luck and hope an MS doc will help w/ your diagnosis.

Dx 1995 w/ RRMS on Gilenya

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. I am definitely going to follow up with my GP and see if I can get a referral to a neurologist who specializes in MS. Hopefully it's not another 6-month wait to get in!

Comment

Working...
          X