Newly Diagnosed. Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly Diagnosed. Any advice?

Hey, I'm Hannah and I'm 22 years old and I was diagnosed with MS 2 weeks ago. I'm keeping my spirits high and my attitude positive, because I know MS has improved a lot from what it used to be. I still feel a little lost, I'm not too sure what to expect a month from now, a year from now, 15 years from now.. I'm currently on day one of a steroid treatment because I have gone entirely numb in my left side, so hopefully with this steroid it goes away soon and I can start exercising and living a healthy lifestyle. I would LOVE advice, or any insight on what I can expect. I'd also love to here your story as well!

Hi and Wecome aboard. I wish it was for a different reason though. It sounds like you already are doing what I consider the most important thing. "I'm keeping my spirits high and my attitude positive," but the hard part is keeping it up, and also you are asking questions and you will find tons of experience here with some of the greatest and caring people. Unfortunately when it comes to the MonSter, no 2 people are the same but with the wealth of people on here you should be able to find help with just about any sympton or problem.

As for myself I have had M.S. symptoms since the early 80's but finally diagnosed in 1998. I am on disability but I have worked full time up to the last 3 years.
    I do tire-out mentally and physically very quickly these days.

Keep your positive attitude and check all the sub forums and you will find people experiencing the symptoms you are having right now.

Tortis
    PEACE

Comment

Welcome!

Hi there!

You and I are in the same boat. I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and try to stay positive with a good attiude. I go up and down wondering what to expect when I begin treatment. This site is so comforting, sometimes scarey when I read some posts. As you said so many things have come a long way and all we can do is hope for the best. There in the process of all the paper work. I was denied from the insurance so they have to do an appeal. I just want to get start with this journey and I'm sure that's how you feel. I certainly hope things go well for all of us.

Take good care of yourself.......I sincerely wish you the best

Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
      RRMS
      Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Tortis for the kind insight!

keep your head up

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

Originally posted by Diamond57 View Post
          Hi there!

You and I are in the same boat. I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and try to stay positive with a good attiude. I go up and down wondering what to expect when I begin treatment. This site is so comforting, sometimes scarey when I read some posts. As you said so many things have come a long way and all we can do is hope for the best. There in the process of all the paper work. I was denied from the insurance so they have to do an appeal. I just want to get start with this journey and I'm sure that's how you feel. I certainly hope things go well for all of us.

Take good care of yourself.......I sincerely wish you the best

Susie Q
          Thanks so much, I just made this so I'm not quite sure I'm responding correctly, you'll have to pardon me >.< lol. But I'm sorry you're having issues with the insurance, how awful. Hopefully something can be done, FAST! I see you're from Michigan, I lived out in Wisconsin for 6 months and when I tried to register for health insurance the process was absolutely nauseating. However here in Massachusetts they have something called MassHealth, and after I told them I had MS they were able to expedite the process and approve me, there is also a National Multiple Sclerosis Society in just about every state, so if you get in contact with a representative, they have advocacy groups that help with financial needs and insurance issues, so definitely look into that!

I start treatment on July 1, right now I'm on a steroid and they've given me tons of info on meds to chose from and I have to make a decision, I've personally decided to go with Tecfidera which is an oral treatment, minimal side effects and it seems to be one of the best I have a coworker who takes it and has been in remission for 5+ years. I also have a friend who does the once a month infusion treatment and she swears by it, so it's all about personal preference, I believe they all work well, I've heard the shots have the most side effects however. With healthy lifestyle choices and the proper medications I believe we will both do well!

Stay strong!

Comment

Hi Hannah

I don't feel qualified to give any advice as I feel like I know nothing about MS altho I was diagnosed about 7 weeks ago. I also went completely numb on my left side. I wanted the steroids but they wouldn't give it to me. The numbness went away after 6 weeks. I started copaxone and feel perfect, like I have nothing wrong with me at all. I hope you feel better soon. The more I read, the more I'll understand and maybe give advice someday
            April

Comment

Hi Hannah,
              I am sorry to hear of your DX. I was DX'd approx. 25 years ago and had symptoms way earlier than that. Numbness, loss of sight in one eye... I have SPms. I too had steroid treatment.
              I think ms DMT, (Disease Modifying Theropy) have improved. I take none. My progression has been ahead of the theropies.
              I saved every bit of paper work I got from my DRs. Every checkup, MRI, -everything. I had 25 plus years of papper trail to help me with SSDI, (Social Security Disability Income). If I could, I would suggest start a file.
              I never stopped planning for the future, I stay as healthy as I can other wise.

Good luck to you!

Peace and Love,
              Steven

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by aprilmitt View Post
                I don't feel qualified to give any advice as I feel like I know nothing about MS altho I was diagnosed about 7 weeks ago. I also went completely numb on my left side. I wanted the steroids but they wouldn't give it to me. The numbness went away after 6 weeks. I started copaxone and feel perfect, like I have nothing wrong with me at all. I hope you feel better soon. The more I read, the more I'll understand and maybe give advice someday
                Thanks for the insight! I find that odd that they didn't give you steroids. Well hopefully you won't have another episode anytime soon so hopefully you won't need em anyways!

Comment

Originally posted by lefty12 View Post
                  Hi Hannah,
                  I am sorry to hear of your DX. I was DX'd approx. 25 years ago and had symptoms way earlier than that. Numbness, loss of sight in one eye... I have SPms. I too had steroid treatment.
                  I think ms DMT, (Disease Modifying Theropy) have improved. I take none. My progression has been ahead of the theropies.
                  I saved every bit of paper work I got from my DRs. Every checkup, MRI, -everything. I had 25 plus years of papper trail to help me with SSDI, (Social Security Disability Income). If I could, I would suggest start a file.
                  I never stopped planning for the future, I stay as healthy as I can other wise.

Good luck to you!

Peace and Love,
                  Steven
                  You seem to be doing well for yourself, having MS for 25+ years and still maintaining healthy is huge, I hope 25 years from now I'm just as healthy. Thanks for the kind words, stay strong!

Comment

hi!

Your soo young! I"m sorry that sucks..yet a few things i can say to you are..

don't let ms consume your life, don't let it stop you from achieving your goals and dreams in life. work around it, and with it.

when you first get dx'd it's soo hard. i cried for a week, than got on with it! lol. i too had it since very young, yet wasn't dxd till 40 because i just kept moving along with all the weird symptoms and stuff.

its actually good that you got this dx now, because you can do certain things to stay healthy and stay symptom free. you should go look on the different boards here for supplements and vitamins you can take to help also.

what are your symptoms?

and welcome stay positive you have a long great life ahead of you!
                    Jen Dx'd 5/11
                    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Originally posted by Hannah Y View Post
                      Hey, I'm Hannah and I'm 22 years old and I was diagnosed with MS 2 weeks ago. I'm keeping my spirits high and my attitude positive, because I know MS has improved a lot from what it used to be. I still feel a little lost, I'm not too sure what to expect a month from now, a year from now, 15 years from now.. I'm currently on day one of a steroid treatment because I have gone entirely numb in my left side, so hopefully with this steroid it goes away soon and I can start exercising and living a healthy lifestyle. I would LOVE advice, or any insight on what I can expect. I'd also love to here your story as well!
                      Hey there, im also 22 years old and was diagnosed in the beginning of this year. Ive had symptoms for years. I was alos put on steroids as soon as I was diagnosed. What other symptoms are you having? For me its still pretty hard to accept that I have ms but I try as much as possible to stay positive but sometimes its really hard. Basically take it day by day now..which sucks because I'm young and its hard to cut back on things. Stay positive though! And welcome to the site !

Comment

I wish you the best too Hanna. I just got approved and now I'm working with MSliflines.

I know I'll be starting soon also.

Here's to us starting.

My best!
                        Susie Q

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                        RRMS
                        Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Working...
                        X