New to Everything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Everything!

Hello everyone, my name is Scott and I just went through a 2nd opinion to confirm I do have MS. I had a couple strange occurrences over the past Christmas and New Year weeks, it started with light headed feelings for about a week, then moved onto double vision for another week, and throughout all of that the right side of my tongue was numb for about a month too.

I was referred to a neurologist and went for my first MRI of my brain which showed several lesions unfortunately. I was then scheduled for a Spinal Tap which the test results provided from this confirmed an MS diagnosis but without a 2nd occurrence. I've have a 2nd brain MRI done as well as a neck and spine MRI. I have had no changes on my brain MRI over 3 months so now I am playing the waiting game.

I am leaning towards not going on treatment and treating everything holistically in terms of my diet and exercise regimen, as well as mentally as well. I feel the medicines available do more harm than good to your immune system with the side effects and MS is already attacking me from the inside anyway, to me it seems counterproductive at this point.

But that is why I am here, to learn from my new brothers and sisters about this new lifestyle that I will come to know more and more about as the days go on. I will say that since this all started I have been very positive mentally and continuing to put my health first as my most important and vital option to fighting this disease. This will not beat me, nor change the way I live my life as long as there is something I can do about it! As I said I hope to learn a lot from you all and also help where and when I can.

Thanks for reading and Happy Memorial Day!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi Scorask,

Welcome to MSWorld! We are glad to meet you, but sorry for the reason why. I hope you find the wealth of information and support I have here. There are many knowledgeable and compassionate folks here. Check out our Resource Center as well, it is full of all kinds of information to help you in your new journey with MS.

Everyone's journey with MS is unique. Starting an exercise regimen is very important and you can find a lot of information about diet in the Tara's Nutrition & Supplement sub forum of the Wellness Room.

Choosing whether or not to go on a Disease Modifying Therapy (DMT) is a personal decision. But this is a very good thread that may help you reconsider the importance of starting treatment: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=133092

Look forward to seeing you around!

Best wishes,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you Kimba, I appreciate it!

Comment

Welcome!

Scorask - Welcome to MS world. I'm new here as well. It looks like a really good group.

Comment

If you are going to do it without meds, it is important that you do something. I highly recommend you read Dr. Jelenik's book, "Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis". His program is based on the work of Dr. Roy Swank who pioneered the dietary approach to treating MS. The book and the website are a wealth of information. Dr. Jelenik has MS 15 years and designed the program based on the work of Dr. Swank and others. I think it's the community you're looking for.

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

Good Luck

Comment

Thanks Jacqui, and same to you.
            I will check out that link BigA, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X