Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoga and balance

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum. I'm a 27 year old male, recently diagnosed with RRMS and currently on Avonex.
    My main MS-related problem so far is my balance, which unlike the symptoms that came with the first attack, hasn't recovered. For this reason, as a previous assiduous yoga practitioner, I have decided to find it again through yoga. On the video below I tell a little more about myself. This quest is something that I want to track and record by doing a video series with my own impressions on what poses help the most and, hopefully, my progress, which I hope may also inspire fellow MS'ers to not give up too soon.

Please follow this project on my youtube (which you may find by looking for a video titled "A quest for balance: yoga and MS") and all input and opinions are more than welcome

Thanks and nice to meet you all!

I have enjoyed your videos and hope you keep them up. I have also been attempting yoga and struggling with balance. I hope you received great results on your recent MRI.

Comment

Hi, I've been wondering about yoga. I can't see your video (no internet, just use WiFi on my phone at coffee shops) but I'll read any advice you post about it, thanks.

Comment

I also have balance issues and wondered about yoga and tai chi I think its what it is called. I will be following your progress on YouTube!

Comment

Hey everyone,
          Thanks for the positive responses! I will be keeping it up and hopefully as the project goes on I will find exercises that I find beneficial and share them with you.
          Best,
          Sebastian

Comment

Thank you for posting this, Bjarki! I'm having balance issues recently and just today at aquafit, the instructor mentioned yoga -- had sort of a lightbulb moment.

I will check your channel out!

Comment

I suspect that yoga would help balance.

PT is another option.

Both good strategies. Yoga less expensive, and doesn't require a doctor referral.

~ Faith
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

challenge

I have some balance issues.

To challenge my balance I have done yoga, water yoga, ai chi, I use an exercise ball often, and during my deep water classes I stand on a pool noodle to challenge it more.

If one does not work for you, maybe another one will.

Comment

agree whole heartedly

I have found yoga a huge assistance for me with balance. I take an MS yoga class and find that the encouragement from the rest of the class is also very helpful. I have been doing it now for 2 years and consider it as beneficial to my health plan as Copaxone if not more so. Helps tremendously with some of the cognitive stuff like focus and quieting the mind which I find difficult always.

Keep it up!
                  Diagnosed 2000 RRMS. Copaxone 2000 - 2010 Rebif 2010 - 2013 Copaxone 2013 - 2014 Tecfidera October 2014
                  "You can't appreciate the good days without the bad ones."

Comment

I also have found Yoga to be extremely helpful. I have been taking a twice weekly class for 5 years or so. I find Kundalini or Iyengar styles to be most beneficial. I find the mindfulness/focus exercises, longer poses, and stretching to really help with fatigue, tight muscles, and strength building. Sometimes my balance is really awful but I either sit, or lean on the wall and the instructor has been great in suggesting modifications when needed. I hated Yoga until I found the right style and the right teacher.
                    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Here is a, somewhat, related thought. And, for females. So, I am not posting it on the correct thread.

But, I know that females are also following this thread.

Yoga has been very helpful for me. But, it has taken me two years at Curves to discover how much Curves "is" yoga.

I participate in the:
                      - regular 2 circuits
                      - the Body Basics strengthening training
                      - and the Core on the Floor training.

All three, if you "think" yoga, and utilize the breath, centering, balance, and form, becomes yoga.

Our local yoga center offers all of the above for a low, inclusive monthly cost. It is a valuable resource to consider.

~ Faith
                      ~ Faith
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Down Dog makes me sick and dizzy! I wish I could do yoga, because it would also help my inflexibility besides my balance.

But when I look up, or look down, I'm sick for hours!
                        Brenda
                        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Yoga information

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...36#post1457236
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                          X