I am still me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am still me!

I was diagnosed on New Years Eve 2002 in Witchita Falls, TX. I was a new mom on a temporary duty assignment to Sheppard Air Force Base Texas and I thought my symptoms were stress related because I was missing my son's first Christmas and his dad was being sent to Qatar. Being diagnosed was actually a relief because it meant that it wasn't all in my head and that I wasn't "going crazy!"

The hardest thing for me after my diagnosis was trying to make my family and friends realize although I was living with MS, I was still the same person I've always been! My son was 10 months old when I was diagnosed so my having MS is just part of everyday living to him. It is hard for others to understand that when I am feeling "normal" I still like to wear make-up, heels, and new clothes because that is how I've always been. They tend to focus on my bad days when I need my cane and flat shoes because my balance is off. The adjustments I have to make to deal with my MS does not mean I no longer appreciate a nice hand bag and a matching pair of shoes! My sense of humor is still the same and I still like to turn my music up loud in the car! I want to get others to understand MS may change the way I do things but it does not and will not change who I am! I am still ME! I have MS, MS does not have me!!!

GREAT ATTITUDE!!!!! welcome to ms world, i look forward to seeing more of you around here. good luck.

dave
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Babyphat fabulocity, what a great name. Welcome and with your attitude you will weather the bad days much better. That attitude is also contagious so keep on posting. It helps all of us.
      "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Hello Babyphat

Welcome to MS World!

The great thing about this site is that you won't have to make anyone understand the different issues concerning MS

Unless a person actually has MS, it can never be thoroughly understood what it's like to live with the various challenges.

You have a super attitude. I wish I could say that I am the same person that I was before MS. But so many things have changed, that I have changed also. (not necessarily for the worse)

In any case, we're glad you have come aboard. There are various Forums here with interesting topics. You'll also find that there's much support and caring here.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My son was on his way to Qatar about the same time. Your DH is in the air force I take it?

Anyway, I'm happy to meet you and you do have a wonderful attitude.
          Take care, Wiz
          RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Hello everyone!
            Thought I would introduce myself and tell you a little about myself. I am 45 yrs old and have had MS for 15 yrs. I have struggled thru all the DMD's. I took Copaxone for the first 4 yrs and then it quit working. I then went to Betaseron. Now I'm on rebif, 4 Amino, Vitamin D, and vitamin B-12. I don't know if what I'm doing is correct but it's the best I know. I still work full time. Is is very hard but I have to have the money and insurance. I am still walking without assistance except for my Husband's hand. I have grieved the high heel shoes that I can no longer wear. I have grieved the beautiful beaches I no longer can go to. I live in Florida so that's hard. I'm sure you all understand. I have a strong will but unfortunatley thats not all you need with this disease. I do the best I can. I will not give in.
            I have to go for now but I will come back.

Comment

Hello Tina

Welcome to the MS World Forums!

It sounds like you are doing the best you can, and that's all any of us can do

Yes, we do understand the losses that accompany having MS. Something I've learned to do over time is for every new loss that I must accept, I find something that remains, some ability that I still have, and feel grateful for that. It's a mental exercise that helps me cope.

In any case, we are glad you joined us. You'll find alot of interesting stuff - information as well as support.

If you want to, why don't you start your own thread, so other members can welcome you? At the bottom of the Tell Us About Yourself page, on the left, just click New Thread.

Looking forward to seeing you around

Take care,
              KoKo
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Darn right you're still you! After my diagnosis I became more me, got real honest about what I wanted and who I was. I am less interested in changing for other people and more on my own side. For once.

Comment

babyphat,
                  WELCOME & GOOD FOR YOU! don't let anyone change your attitude! it's good to have people who care & concerned about you. but the hovering can get annoying. just be thankful they'll be there when you need them.
                  sounds like when you have good days, you have very, very good days. just show them you're still you. sounds like you already do a pretty good job. hopefully they'll get it.
                  also,

when you have to give away your heels
                  and roll around on wheels
                  you'll still be you,
                  don't let anyone say it's not true!

i kept hollering that point as a preschool teacher from a wheelchair, but evidently down there only children see & hear you. we had fun racing (trike against w/c) they enjoyed helping me and even getting hurt wasnt so bad because you got a ride to the office.
                  don't ever give up!
                  take care & God bless you!
                  "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Working...
                  X