Children's author living with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Children's author living with MS

I was born in southern Minnesota. I married my childhood sweetheart and we have one beautiful daughter. We just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary. My husband spent 32 years in the Air Force allowing us to travel and live in many beautiful places. We currently live in Colorado Springs Colorado.
    During Kevin’s military career and since retirement from the Air Force, we have both been very active in military organizations and community organizations ~ up until I was diagnosed with MS in 2010 forcing me to cut back on my involvement.
    Since then I have used a cane, a walker, and currently a wheelchair and motorized chair to get around. My husband is my loving caregiver and has taken on all the household “chores” that I used to do, plus his own, and continues to fulfill all of his volunteer commitments. He is an amazing man in his own rite!
    Our daughter is married and has started Graduate School - Molecular Biology. Her first job out of college (CU Boulder) was working for a doctor researching the cause of MS. (What are the odds of that happening?) Her degree from college is Molecular Cellular Developmental Biology with a Minor in Biochemistry. (Two normal people can make one SMART child).

I had always been very healthy ~ no meds, I participated in many walks and runs to include a 1/2 marathon, an 18 mile walk, and also completed running the Honolulu Marathon in the early 80's. I took aerobics classes and was an aerobic instructor for years. I later walked 2 miles every day. I was always a very active person up until my diagnosis of MS.

Once on LTD, I decided to begin the journey of writing children’s books. It gave me something positive to focus on and something fun and positive to talk about with others besides only discussing my health and my fight with MS.
    Everything was done via the Internet, finding out “how does one write a book when you are not famous”? How do you find an illustrator? With lots of prayer and knowing it would all work out, things began to fall into place and my first book - “Have You Ever Seen A Firefly?“ was published March of 2013. It is a book about enjoying life and dreaming big. It is a “read to me” book and a “first time reader” book. It is available on
    My second book is called “Sights at the Zoo” ~ A children's book that visits the zoo and also helps explain to children why some may need aids such as a wheelchair to get around. It was published in September 2013.

I am donating a percentage of my book sales towards research for MS hoping discoveries are made for both the cause and a cure in my lifetime.
    Debbie

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Until I read the end of your post, I thought you were self promoting your book projects. That being said, I think you are doing amazing thing. Good luck

Comment

Good for you!

Welcome!

Talk about making lemonade out of lemons. I am impressed with your positive use of your time and resources. I don't have much extra or deposable income, but will check these out next time I get books for my grandkids.

Hope that you will be sticking around and sharing your views and sharing more of your story with us.

Comment

Working...
      X