Teach me to complain ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teach me to complain ...

I guess a little about me would be in order before I start complaining. I was dx’ed almost 20 years ago, and yeah went through a couple of years ruling out everything else before being given the sentence of MS. A few years before that of denying that anything was wrong so living with MS for what 25 or so years? I am very fortunate in that I am still mobile (just recently starting using a cane on bad days) and to look at me you would not see that I have MS. Fatigue and cog fog in addition to a limp are my most noticeable symptoms - the pain you don’t see of course.

Went to neuro yesterday - first time in almost a year. He has had some type of medical problems and has fallen behind somewhat in his practice. I really did not want to start with a new doctor, so even though I have been experiencing new and/or worsening of symptoms this past year I waited until I could see him. I felt that there wasn’t really anything he could do anyways ..

Well when I left his office he had a game plan, but I certainly didn’t expect all the testing required to put anything into motion. Blood work yesterday, EEG Friday, MRI and Sleep Study next week and waiting on call from urologist to see what testing he has for me. I am suppose to make apt with my PCP for assorted testing and also with my Ophthalmologist. Luckily they DO talk to one another so when I go back to neuro in three months he will have all data in hand. He and my DH both made the same comment about how good I am doing after 20 years to be able to do so much, and that so many MSers couldn't say the same.

DH even dared to tell me that I should be grateful. And I am. Really. All I asked GOD for after dx was to be able to raise my 3 kids before I fell apart, and that has happened. Even have 4 wonderful grand-kids now.

Yes I have lost stuff too. I career that I loved and was great at. The ability to work in my yard like I was able to do before (and that really shows!). Even the ability to be as independent as I was before. I mean I can mostly still take of myself, but it is bad enough that my husband checks on my via phone several times a day while he is at work. He has ‘forbidden’ me to work on my goldfish pond when he is not with me. Cooking is something that I have to be VERY mindful of lest I burn not only dinner but the house down also. The cane is a pain because I am usually trying to be efficient and carry things as I go from one place to the next but still not unbearable (maybe because I only use it sometimes?). The adult diapers aren't all that bad - DH is the only one other than me that knows I am wearing them, but have not used them much during summer months ..

Just feeling afraid of what’s next. And guilty too, about husband - he is so very understanding that I sometimes sleep 16 hours out of 24, and the house isn't clean like I had it in past, and he even makes sure I eat when I don’t feel up to cooking.

Proofing this I see a crazy person, but that is how I feel right now. I don’t want to get worse! I don’t want to have to self cath! I don’t want a walker! I don’t want to have to depend on anyone to take care of me! I am sorry for being such a spoiled brat - I know that many people reading this don’t have it as good as I do and have. Just feeling so down and afraid right now.
    Thanks for letting me vent.

Your post is completely appropriate and understandable. I feel much of the same frustrations and fears. I am praying for an end to this MonSter. Good luck

Comment

Vent away, that's what we are here for....certainly understandable!

Comment

You have every right to complain if you want to. These are your feelings and they are real.

Take some time to work through your fears and then focus on the positives of your life. It will not take away this disease or all the challenges that come with it, but hopefully you will find a way to balance what sucks with what is good.

Do you get to see your grandchildren often?

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments. And yes I DO feel better today. I think it was just having to say the words to my doctor that made the situation real. I mean I only use the cane at home when I go in the yard to take care of the animals (I have a couple of outside dogs and cats and some chickens, and I feed the wild birds and squirrels). And the diapers aren't an everyday thing either, so it isn't like these are in my face all the time things. I guess I am not as far from denial as I thought myself to be ...

I don't see the grands as much as I would like, but do enjoy the times we have together. Youngest calls me silly grandma to specify me from her other grandmothers so I suppose I need to get a smile back on for her

My new today is to not worry about what might be, to just deal with what is right now. And thanks again for letting me have my pity party

Comment

It is great to be the silly grandma. I am glad that you are feeling better.

Comment

I could copy/paste your post under my user name...it's eerie so many details are the same for both of us. I was/am having a pity party today but tomorrow is a new one and I have things to do.

Hang in there...that's what I do because the alternative isn't any better.

Comment

Hi ZSP. Today is our 'new' day. Like you I have things to do today. But yesterday wasn't too bad either, after slowing down enough to just deal with what is going on in the present .
                My family helps out an elderly disabled couple so each month we pool everything we have collected all month and make a delivery to them. Yesterday was that day. So after coffee and meds I got dressed, fed up, and loaded up the car. Stopped by my moms and loaded her and her stuff and we went to my uncles, where we loaded his stuff after visiting with him for a while. Then my mom and I made the delivery.
                It is really a good feeling knowing that I can actually help someone else. Even though I was tired when I got home, doing this gave me a reason to get up and do something that was productive. And it was more important than feeding the birds and squirrels in my yard
                Best of luck to you today.

Comment

Working...
                X