My Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Story

II was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2004. It has been quite an experience! I was diagnosed with Relapsing/Remitting MS. I am affected in my brain. I have a large problem with balance and equilibrium, I was a very good athlete, but now I cannot play sports. I love baseball, basketball, football, golf and bicycling. Now I cannot play any of the games I love.
    I have endured 4 relapses that I know of. The right side of my face "collapsed" and I lost control of my eye, drinking and my mouth. I have fallen over 100 times, including falling on an airport escalator and falling down the stairs a pro baseball game. I lost control of my digestive system in public and urinated and defecated on myself.
    It has been an experience, but I am not giving up!

MS sucks for sure, but never give up. I will pray that things get better.

Comment

Originally posted by mbnupe1 View Post
      Now I cannot play any of the games I love.
      I have endured 4 relapses that I know of.

The right side of my face "collapsed" and I lost control of my eye, drinking and my mouth.

I have fallen over 100 times,

I lost control of my digestive system in public and urinated and defecated on myself.
      It has been an experience, but I am not giving up!

mbnupe1- I do understand the shame of pissing and craping myself in public.
      I also understand the frustration of failing athletic abilities.
      As a lifetime moto-crosser with some natural talent, I have always kept myself in shape. Giving it up has been a horrible personal loss.

I do not know if any of this will help, but I feel compelled to tell you about it.
      I have had MS for aprox 20 years. (Dx for 15 years) I was having difficulty with vision, walking, thinking, could not catch a ball, could not write, felt like I was drunk all the time (less the euphoria). Just dizzy uncoordinated and not sure when I may piss or poop myself.

I feel like I have tried every medication in the pharmacy with few improvements and lots of side effects.
      Finally out of desperation I quit all the meds. Went on a quest with diet. After much trial and error I settled on a gluten free, lactose free, high protein low fat diet.
      Also I started to see a physical therapist that works with stroke survivors.

After about three months I was moving much better and feeling a bit better.
      I have not pooped my pants in a couple years and have not peed myself for even longer.
      I still fall down sometimes but it is less often and I am still pretty strong and can tolerate a tumble pretty well.
      (but it is still hard on the ego.)

I can now ride a motorcycle at a level that is faster than most men my age (49) but nowhere as fast as I was in the past.
      It is not great but I can still enjoy it even at a lower level.
      My days of kicking arse on guys half my age are long gone but I can still get a smile out of myself most days.

Diet and PT are key for me to stay at my maximum level.
      The only med I use regularly is marijuana,(for spasms and pain)

My method is not conventional and it is not a cure-all, but the diet/exercise/marijuana program has given me some of my life back.
      I have no medical training and do not claim to be an expert of anything.
      However I have lived with MS for a long time and can recognize improvement when it happens.
      (my official test group consists of one.-me)

I hope this information helps you. I make no claim of total recovery... but I do feel and function better.
      I can now shoot baskets with my left hand as well as my right...(shooting baskets is part of my exercise program.)

Best wishes.
      Solving the pee'd and pooped pants syndrome has been a huge life improvement and has greatly lifted my level of happiness.
      Hang in there and keep trying new programs...things may improve.

Comment

Working...
      X