Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get it back 2 good

Hey everyone!

I got my dream job with the railroad in 2005, and then reality tried to strike me down in July of 2006 when I was diagnosed with MS. I was fortunate enough to keep my job, which I'm still employed. There has been obstacle after obstacle. I've been hospitalized four times, and bounced back as best I could. Trying to regain, what I could, what MS was trying to take away. It's been almost seven years, and three medicines later. The fight is never ending.
    The last couple of weeks though I have seen possibly where this is headed and thought about what I never thought about before. When I was originally diagnosed, my neuroligist and I had a very long conversation. It was about getting as much time in as possible in my career. We've done very well but........I am fearful of the day when I have to throw in the towel.
    I've always tried to stay the course, but I feel maybe I'm going off the path that has brought me this far. Not knowing how this is going to be, and what options I have is too much. Maybe I just think too much, and need to go back to the whole one day at a time thing.
    Any feedback would be appreciated, I just need to talk this thing out.

I think your neurologist was excellent to encourage you to work and save as much money as you can while you can.

That has been my plan also and while I hear what people say about work stress making MS more difficult for me financial worry would be far more detrimental. I have no plan to be stuck living only on disability income beholden to family to care for me.

I figure when I'm no longer able to do my job even on a part-time basis I'll have plenty of time to relax and smell the flowers. I hate this thief of a disease.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

You have expressed the unknown as we all know it. I don't have any idea what is going to become of me. And I dare not dream of what tomorrow will be. MS owns all of that. It is a thief. But I will be patient and hope for the cure. Pray, pray, pray and hope for the cure in the near future. Good luck

Comment

get it back to good

Thank You Jules A and JerryD for responding! It helps that other people understand. I am very grateful that work for the most part understands what is going on, but a few people don't. I think. Those are the people I need to talk to. To help me understand what my future is with the company. I probably won't be able to drive a train forever, but I'm gonna try.

Comment

Hello and Welcome RailroaderRobby!

MS is a thief, you've got that right! But you also have it right by saying one day at a time.

The future is always uncertain no matter who you are, or what disease you may have.

Best wishes to you. We're here for you.
          When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi RailroaderRobby

Welcome! You are speaking the thoughts of many. I worked in the mental health field for 27 years and retired on disability when my facility closed . My option was move or retire at 46 so I stayed and retired because I could. I often wonder if that was the right decision, but am very grateful for being vested in Social Security and obtaining a state disability retirement...

I hope your options are great and as JerryD says..we're hanging in there for the cure
            Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Working...
            X