Hospital stay..oh what fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hospital stay..oh what fun

I just got out of the hospital after being dx'd with pneumonia. I found that my right leg was stiffening to the point where I couldn't straighten it out. I was driving and when I parked the car, I fell out of the drivers door. I walked towards my house and I fell into the doorway. I was taken, by ambulance, to the ER and they found that I had pneumonia. I spent 3 days in the hospital and the doctor there said she felt I should not be driving any more.
    So my wife has taken away my car. Now I am home bound or I use the handicap bus or something. This is not what I signed on for. Thank you MS. The world isn't ending just getting smaller and darker.

Jerry I'm sorry you're going through this.

I don't know enough about MS yet and what steroids can / can't help with, but by any chance could they help your leg situation? Is it even worth a shot?

Bree

Comment

sorry to hear about your issues Jerry I can't even immajion hoor what you or others with MS are going through I can see what it is doing to my wife though I wish you and the others well and a place to vent if needed.

Comment

Hi Jerry, What the heck does having pneumonia have to do with you not being able to drive. When I get real sick from whatever I cannot drive either, the MonSter takes over but when I get better then I can drive again. I hope this works out for you.
        PEACE
        Tortis

Comment

tortis,
          I have no idea what happened. My right leg is the leg that is most affected by my MS. It usually is stiff and the PT's have said that my hip flexor is 'weak'. So I have a bunch of exercises that I do that are intended to strengthen it. But for some odd reason, I was in the WalMart parking lot, and my leg got so stiff I couldn't barely walk to my car.
          When I got home I fell out of the driver side of the car. Then I fell into the side of my house. I was taken to the ER in an ambulance. I was dx'd with pneumonia and admitted for 3 days. The attending physician got together with my wife and they decided to take away my car keys. Now I am sitting at home, praying for a 'cure'.

Comment

I'm so sorry you're going through a rough time Jerry! I hope you get better soon. Maybe you'll regain your ability to drive, but in the meantime try and focus on healing. Physically and emotionally. Sometimes I wonder which is worse.

I fully understand when you say the world is getting smaller and darker. My world consists of 2 very small rooms in the upstairs of my house, some days are really dark. What would it take to bring some "light" into your world? How do we "accept" what we're powerless to change. I think that if I change how I think of it, I change the experience.

Try to look at the things you are able to do and not the things you can't. I know it's hard. Sometimes I've got it and the next day I start over again. It's part of the process I guess. One day we'll get it for good.

I really hope things work out well for you. In the meantime, we're here for you.

HUGS
            When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi Jerry, Once again I do not understand why you cannot drive. Once you get over this relapse even if you do not completely recover, they make hand controls for cars that would still allow you to drive. I know that deep down you know if you are still cable of driving safely or not. Is your neurologist saying you are not cable of driving. Do not give up unless deep down you feel you should not drive anymore. This part of your post is what bothers me the most. (The attending physician got together with my wife and they decided to take away my car keys.) I am not trying to make trouble but I have not read enough to understand. Hoping things work out better for you.
              PEACE
              Tortis

Comment

Jerry,

I am so sorry. Having pneumonia most likely made your MS worse that day, explaining why you were falling and could barely walk. IDK what to say regarding the stiffness in your one leg, though. This sounds like an ongoing problem.

It's good to hear you are still doing your PT exercises to help strengthen your hip flexor. You may have more going on than just that. I've had a lot of PT over the past year and a half and have heard a few different things from different therapists. They don't all understand MS. I got the most help from a neuro PT.

You may want to find a physiatrist (rehab dr) who understands MS. Maybe you would benefit from botox injections in the stiff leg.

Hand controls are an option if your only issue is your leg. But, you still need to get around safely once you get out of the car. The last thing you want is to fall and break a bone! Besides having a really bad year health wise last year that set off my MS, I also broke a bone from a fall. My rehab was really messed up and I lost a lot of strength that I may now never recover. I was bedridden for months.

I don't drive now and understand how hard it is. Hand controls alone aren't the answer because I need to use my w/c and can't afford a specially equipped vehicle that will allow my total independence. I wish I didn't have to rely on others, especially when it comes to my kids. Able-bodied folks have no clue what it's like to lose independence.

I get what you mean when you say your world is getting smaller and darker. I hope you are able to explore more options so you can drive again. Try to heed Carol's advice and focus on what you can still do. It isn't always easy, but thinking about things I can do gives me a reason to get up every day.

Wishing you brighter days. Hugs.
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your positive posts.
                  YOU ALL GET IT. That's the beauty of this board. And I appreciate your thoughts.

I spoke to my PCP, yesterday. After he examined me and we had some more conversation, he suggested I pursue 'adaptive' means to keep me driving. And gave me info on this from a nearby rehab place.

I understand that my wife doesn't want me to get injured or injure someone else by driving dangerously. But being homebound will do more to depress my spirit than this MS has already done.
                  ** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

I hear you Jerry! It's enough to be physically ill but losing a lifestyle and being restricted seems like we're being punished for having MS.

I hope the rehab place will have you driving ASAP. In the meantime, keep your spirits up... You know it's coming and you'll be driving again.

I'm happy for you!

Comment

You're having a bugger of a time, but to steal a line, this, too, shall pass.
                      Hopefully soon.

I've read your posts in the past, and you always sound as though you do your best to stay healthy, and you're looking towards the future.

As they say in Justified, "Stay Frosty."

All the best.

Comment

My new neurologist explained to me, yesterday, that inflammation and fever can "stir up" and cause 'constrictions.' He stopped short of explaining exactly how, though.

Being concerned I am having a flare-up, he did a CBC and put me on more medications.

Losing your "right" to drive is one thing, your ability, another. Cudos for you, for not giving up. Independence, is most important.

Are you feeling better? That is the pneumonia? Sure hope so.

Comment

I am feeling much better and the pneumonia is cleared-up.
                          Thanks to you all for your caring and thoughtful posts.

Comment

That's good news! So glad you're feeling better!

Comment

Oh Jerry, I'm so sorry to hear of your latest troubles. I hope you stick with plans for adaptive contols to continue driving.

I can completely relate. Though in some ways I'm definite am in a better place that you are at the moment, I can still walk without aids. Not for too long or too far, and it depends on if the pain, fatigue and other factors cooperate. I gave up making any plans to do anything at all, years ago and long before a diagnosis. I spend 90% of my time in our bedroom now. And my GP just told me yet again the other day how fortunate I am to not have many symptoms and be so early on in the progression of this disease. Very glad my neurologist is not so clueless. I'm on year 20 something, or longer. Early stages, my patootie!

Anyway, glad you are feeling a bit better and really hope you can find a way to safely drive again. Hugs for you!

Comment

Working...
                              X