New girl around here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New girl around here

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I've spent a few days sort of browsing through some of your posts, and I decided I should probably join. I stumbled upon the boards when I was trying to find an answer to a question I had (I ended up finding out what I needed.)

I should start by apologizing. I am a writer, so I tend to get long-winded.

My name is Colleen; I am 27 years old. I received my official diagnosis two days after my 27th birthday.

I actually was clued in about my MS in a rather strange way. I was at a Padres game in San Diego. I had been drinking (but not any more than normal) and suddenly I got sick. My friend walked me to the bathroom where I proceeded to, basically, pass out on the bathroom floor. I retained every audio memory of the night, but I have absolutely no visual memories left after the 7th inning. From there, my optic neuritis progressed into almost total blindness in my left eye.

Five days after the baseball incident I went to the hospital. The first hospital that I went to tried telling me I was having a migraine without the headache. I've had migraines since I was 13; this was not normal. I had to go out of town two days later, so I had to live with what they said.

By the time I got home (10 days after the original incident) I was almost completely blind. After seeing an ophthalmologist, I was instructed that I needed an MRI and it couldn't wait. The next day my mom and I spent 15 hours in the ER. At 2 a.m. we were finally told what we pretty much assumed was already coming- they thought it was MS. Personally, I was just glad it wasn't the brain tumor they originally thought it was.

My f/u MRI showed no changes. They were sure it was MS, but wanted a spinal tap because my neurologist is "overly cautious." I had to respect that. The day before my birthday I had my spinal tap, and they called with the results three days later.

I don't know the number of lesions I have, because I lost count somewhere around 15-20. My neuro gave me the option to start treatment or wait for my next attack. Based on the old lesions indicating silent attacks, I decided I wanted to fight hard and early. I wasn't going to wait another year or three just to find out I had a handful of silent attacks while we waited.

I am now finishing my third week of Rebif. I have had virtually no side effects. I've gotten nauseous twice, but I have Zofran for that. I have some bruising from the injections and that's it. I feel pretty lucky, actually.

Like I said, I write a lot. And I'm a super open person about everything.

Hi glad you came to the site. I completely agree with you decsion to start treatment early. MS is a progressive disease so guess what its doing, while we are waiting Look forward to seeing your posts. Dale
    Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Welcome! I am glad you started treatment too! I have had many episodes of ON in both eyes...no fun! I am glad the Rebif is not giving you too much trouble, I couldn't take it. Hopefully you will continue to do well on it as most people do!

Keep looking around, ask questions, post, check out the chat, whatever you want.

Take care,
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Hi, I'm 27 and was also diagnosed just after my 27th birthday in October. Guess I knew diagnosis was coming since April but I was in denial. My follow up MRI showed a lot of new lesions even though I had very few symptoms since initial flare in April. I had to start treatment because of the lesions. I am on copaxone and struggling with injection reactions. I wish you luck with your treatment and wish you well for the future :-)

Comment

Working...
        X