ADVICE needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADVICE needed

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed in December 2007 and have been doing wonderful on Betaseron. However, the past year or more I have what my doctor calls "needle fatigue" and have been non-compliant with my injections. So he recommended Gilenya. We talked about it a couple years ago but he said it was too new and wanted to wait.

He sits on the board of neurology and such and when he started seeing all the positive feedback he said it is time. I have never (thank you God) had a relapse since being diagnosed. When I was diagnosed, saying I was distraught is an understatement. I was so depressed I wanted to die. I wasn't suicidal because of my religious beliefs, but I would lay there and try to will my heart to stop, then get mad at God for not letting me die. When that didn't work I tried to stop eating and drinking for 4 days and made myself very sick, thinking that was "natural".

Anyway, I have come a long way, am very healthy, and am a living example of when my doctor first told me that I would be fine and MS is not the same disease it was years ago and that I would go on to live a normal life. My problem is, I just got the phone call to come to the office on January 14th for my first Gilenya dose. I thought I'd be excited, but I am scared! All the thoughts of first being diagnosed, starting a new medication, and all the fear that comes with it are flooding my mind. I can't stop crying and don't wanna fall back into a depression. Can anyone give me any words of wisdom, especially anyone who is taking Gilenya? Thank you so much.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi gannbaratta and welcome to MSW! I am not on meds anymore, nor Gilenya, but I was on DMD's for 11 years and understand needle fatigue completely! I'm happy to hear they have helped you so far and you have a good doctor.

I also understand depression and anxiety. Many of us do! I think we fall into that old fear of the unknown, which is so very common with having MS. My solution was to try counseling with an excellent therapist along with an antidepressant and anxiety drug. For me it was a valuable tool to use for as long as I needed it. It kept me from going over the edge.

I feel for you and hope that all goes well. And it's okay to cry! Best to get the sadness and fear out than to have it fester. We are here to help too, so hang in there
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I'm on Gilenya...

And so far, am very comfortable with the decision to take this DMD.

I was diagnosed in March of 2012 and began taking G in April. I really don't understand the bad rap that this med seems to carry with it. My only side effects were chest flushing for a week or so in the beginning and occasionally, I get a tiny blister (almost like a pimple) on one of my arms or legs. Technically, there's no way to prove that these are caused by the medicine or rather by my suppressed immune system. Either way, its no big deal.

I chose G because I'm not fond of needles and I knew I could discontinue the medicine if I felt I needed to.

I haven't had a flair since Dx and my doc and I have agreed that I can wait until January of 2014 for an MRI/review of G as my DMD.

You need to make this decision for yourself. I just wanted to let you know that there are many happy G customers out there!

God Bless and let us know how things are going...
      Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
      Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Hmm. I you don't want to take Gilenya, you can always take your shots. Alternatively, Avonex is the same medicine as Rebif and is only one shot per week. You might ask about switching. Of course, it has a slightly lower effectiveness profile, but it's really not by much at all and if you're going to be compliant, it may add up to the same thing. Why not ask your doctor.

Comment

Started the Gilenya

Well I started the Gilenya yesterday. My 6 hour observation went well. Starting resting HR was 83, ending resting HR 60. Last night and this morning HR staying in the 60s and I feel a lightheaded. Anyone else have this? I actually feel really calm and slept through the night, which I usually do not do. I think it may have something to do with the lower HR as my resting HR is usually in the 90s so maybe the lower HR is making me more calm. Either way, I know its only been a day, but feeling good.

Comment

gILENYA

HI I AM IN THE VERY STARTING STAGES OF GOING ON GILENYA. AFTER 12 YEARS OF GIVING MYSELF SHOTS I AM READY FOR AN ORAL MED. I HAVE BEEN ON AVONEX REBIF AND COPAXONE. THEY ALL HAVE THEIR SIDE EFFECTS. I UNDERSTAND YOUR DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY. I CRY A LOT TOO. I AM CONSIDERING GOING BACK ON ANTI DEPRESSANTS. THERE IS A STIGMA CONNECTED TO THEM FOR SOME WOMEN BUT THEY REALLY HELP! I TRY TO FIND LITTLE THINGS TO CHEER ME UP, EVEN IF IT'S JUST WATCHING THE SNOW FALL AND THINKING OF SLEDDING AS A KID. i WISH YOU ALL THE BEST AND HOPE YOU FIND WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!

Comment

Working...
            X