Newly Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly Diagnosed

Hello all. I had been diagnosed as 'Early MS' (was in a car accident in '92 with a head injury, and MRI showed lesions), later changed to 'Suspect MS' in the mid 90's, and was later treated with propranolol for familial tremors. I stopped the propranolol after 1 1/2-2 years due to extremely low blood pressure in 2000.

In approximately 2007, I started Lexapro for anxiety issues, but physically felt pretty much "ok" for all those years (in retrospect, I may have been having symptoms).

In January of this year I decided to discontinue Lexapro and try more exercise, but it seems depression started within a few months, as I felt a general malaise, loss of appetite, stomach issues, etc. Also had tingling and numbness in extremities (mostly left side), along with burning mouth and skin since May, but I reasoned that it was thyroid (I'm hypo) and/or anxiety.

Started having unexplainable pains in my legs in late September, and by late October saw my PCP. She suspected MS, and sent me for MRI, which showed approx. 15 lesions, none in the frontal lobe or brain stem. Had my first visit to my new neurologist last week, and he told me to do my research as to which drug I will start. He said none of the lesions are acute, that they all chronic.
    I would appreciate any input regarding Copaxone side effects vs Rebif, as these are the two treatments I am considering.
    Thank you!

WELCOME TO MS WORLD MAPGIRL33!!!!!! it is great to have you been I am sorry why.

I cannot comment on rebif because I have never taken it, but I have not had any side effects from Copaxone. Know that everyone is different, and the different meds you take will have different side effects for each individual.

The decision is all yours to make, but I will tell you that each is good. Good luck to you.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thank you! Each time I find new info I change my mind!

Comment

I felt totally overwhelmed when I was diagnosed and my neuro helped me make decision. I want to continue work as long as possible and felt the interferons would cause too many flu side effects which would interfere with my work. Copaxone had to be injected daily but I work with needles so that didn't bother me. Therefore I chose copaxone. I have since struggled somewhat with injection site reactions and I may have to change to an interferon if reactions don't ease. For now I'm sticking with it though cos there aren't any other side effects that affect my daily life. Not sure if this is any help. Good luck with whichever option you choose :-)

Comment

im on copaxone my self and just got my diegnosses of ms from and early ms diegnosses

copaxone has been working for me sometime in certen parts where i have to take it it burns and some parts swell and burn but for the most part is verry eazy to deal with exept ive been haveing a problume with takeing it everyday lol but im getting better now now all symtomes will some will some might not i my self only have 5 to six wihte mater in my brain but none in the cervical spine or optical but do got one in the corpuss colasum witch gave me my diegnosses try and stay rested it will help you heal faster and better
          live and laugh in love cuz love is forever

Comment

Working...
          X