Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long time listener, first time caller!

Hi everyone!

My name's Mel, I'm a 27 year old gal from sunny Queensland, Australia. I was dx in February after being sent to a neuro for suspected carpal tunnel syndrome. MS wasn't exactly the result I was looking for, but in the shock was a lot of relief, as it answered so many questionable health problems I've had.

Started on rebif straight away, which didn't agree with me. After three months of suffering severe depression and flu-like symptoms, I switched to copaxone. Had a couple of good weeks, but then got hit by the Fatigue Monster really bad, he's been hassling me 24-7 for about 7 weeks now.

After 5 months of not being able to work or drive due to fatigue and severe cog-fog, and constant experimenting to get all the right types/dosages/combination of meds happening, I've decided to take a break from all of my medication. I'm down to 75mg of something I was having 375mg of, and should be down to 0 by next week, and am off everything else. The fatigue is still here, but otherwise I feel so much better! I'm sleeping without any medicinal aid,, and most of MT other symptoms have eased tremendously.

My left hand is still pretty numb (that's what I was being tested for carpal tunnel for) but its been like that for nearly a year now, so I asssume it will stay that way.

I've been lurking on these boards for a couple of months, and have found advice incredibly helpful, so I thought it was high time I stepped out of the shadows and said HI!!!

Hi Mel and welcome!! I'm sorry that you had some bad experiences with your meds, but glad you are feeling better - beyond the fatigue, that is. So many of us suffer from that. You might want to do an advanced search here and look up fatigue and see what others are doing or saying about what is helping them. Or look up acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid (ALC and ALA) supplements. Lots of good information with good results!

Hope you "call" on us often and lurk no more!!
    Take care.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Mel, just so you know, it can take months (sometimes 4 to 6) to build up a tolerance to your DMD. That's just how it works for many of us. It also isn't the DMD that causes fatigue.
      Please let your Dr. know you're changing the game plan. They might not like it but they really need to know about it.

Comment

Hi guys!
        I've spoken with all my doctors about coming off meds, its not a long-term plan, I just want to give my body a break for a couple of months. I should have been clearer in my post- I do believe the fatigue is from MS and not the meds, I've just had so much stuff pumped into my body this year that I can no longer tell what's a side-effect, what's from MS and what's something else entirely.

After having a "medication holiday" for a little while, I plan on slowly re-introducing everything back into my system (starting with copaxone), I'm hoping to be able to better monitor side effects and benefits that way.

Thanks again for the replies have an awesome day!!

Comment

Hi Mel

glad you joined us but sorry you had too...
          I had side effects with the interferon also, but they do lessen with time.

Hope you find something that works for you!
          Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Welcome Mel from down under,
            I am glad to welcome you and sorry as well, blah blah blah.
            Isn't it am coincidence, I presented with carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand, too.
            I actually had the carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand. I did recover from the surgery but the tingling and numbness did not change. Then my PCP sent me to see a neurologist. He did some basic testing and actually called the surgeon who did my surgery, on the phone, and asked him if it was possible that he ( the surgeon ) misdiagnosed me.
            Then he turned to me and gave me the dx of PPMS. So, coincidentally, carpal tunnel can disguise an MS dx. In my experience. Good luck and keep posting.

Comment

Working...
            X