in need of a support system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in need of a support system

I can't talk with anyone in the family about my problem(s). My parents are old and my father doesn't want me to upset Mother. So here I am. I have no one to talk to about MS. I was diagnosed back in '89. And use Solu-medrol when I have a flare up which has been happening at least once a year now. My neuro is trying to get me on Acthar. It's with my Insurance Company now waiting to see what/if they will pay. Has anyone been on Acthar. This month is the first I've heard of that. I've been on all the ABCs and even the chemo once - had bad problems with all those.
    I'm really not sure how this site works. Do I post by using "threads"? What does that mean.:

Hi and welcome,
    We understand, sigh. There is a section here for medication questions/comments and you might get more replies if you post there.

Look forward to reading more from you.
    Jules
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

WELCOME EMILY!!!!! Glad you found us. Threads are the main questions and posts are the replies. Hope to see you around more.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

You've come to a good safe place for support, Emily and welcome! Wow, a dx in '89? That was around the time I started having noticeable MS sx, but was misdiagnosed. They didn't even have any dmd's around that time, did they?

So, you've had quite a journey so far, haven't you? We welcome all the wisdom you have gained thus far. We hope to hear from you often. Never be shy about asking questions. We're all here to help thru our various experiences. Be well!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

gel

Emily,

I have never been on Acthar, but went to an MS seminar and spoke with people about it and heard a lot of good things. The downside was the insurance issues. There was another "steroid" that a neuro told me about but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it that supposedly does not go throughout your whole body and cause as many side effects of solu-medrol, but only goes to your spine/brain. How much I believe of that, I don't know, but it would be worth researching possibly.
          RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

steroid

I believe the steroid he talked about was Decadron? (spelling). I don't see anything about how it might just go to the spine and brain, but he said he has better results with his MS patients and no longer uses solumedrol at his office unless they cannot tolerate decadron. Maybe keep this in mind in case the Acthar does not get approved. Good luck.
            RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Working...
            X