Good morning from the Drizzly Pacific Northwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning from the Drizzly Pacific Northwest

My name's Nicole and I live in a town south of Seattle. I'm a 39 year old legal assistant, single mom, and newly diagnosed with MS.

A few years ago -- I think in 2009 or 2010, I can't remember exactly, my right side was somewhat numb. I went to the doctor and he sent me for bloodwork, all of which came back in normal ranges. Then the numbness went away, so I went on my merry way.

I've always been clumsy. Like, my entire life I've been a walking disaster. Last October I took a tumble down my stairs at home and sprained my ankle. In January, 6 days after my mother's passing due to lung cancer, I fell down my neighbor's steps in the dark outside and broke my foot bad enough to require surgery to repair it. While recovering, my right arm and hand went numb. I couldn't do anything -- I couldn't write, I couldn't drive, I couldn't hold a cup. I thought I had a pinched nerve from the stupid knee scooter I was using and went to the doctor who set me up with PT.

After 13 PT sessions, I wasn't any better, not even marginally, so I stopped going. $30/appointment adds up pretty quick! I thought I'd just deal with it. This was in April, I believe. In May, right around the time of my birthday, my right leg went numb, too. Off to the doctor I went, where an MRI was ordered.

I got a call after the MRI got read about several lesions in the white matter of my brain. That sounds scary. I got set up with a neurologist, the one who could see me the soonest. Turns out, he's well known and respected for his MS work. I went to see him and he ordered bloodwork and a lumbar puncture (which sounds so much more painful than a spinal tap!).

The bloodwork all came back pointing to MS. I went in for the LP, and suffered with a horrendous headache for a week. The results of that came back pointing to MS. So...guess what? MS it is.

I went back to my neurologist, and told him I'd like to try the Avonex to start out with. He'd asked me to research three drugs and Avonex seemed to be the one I'd be most likely to stick with since it's only once a week. He told me that he actually has a new clinical study starting soon with Fingolimod/FTY720, and if I was interested, he thinks I'd be a perfect candidate. I'd be randomly chosen for either the Fingolimod or to get the Avonex shot. All my appointments would be free of charge to me, and my medication would be free of charge for as long as I'm a part of the study (about a year). So, that's what I'm going for. Why not?

I've submitted FMLA paperwork to my employer since I will be missing work for this stuff, and just for feeling crummy. Yesterday, I got up at my usual 5 am, and realized there was no way I could make it through a work day. I was so exhausted I could hardly walk into the bathroom, so I called in. And I slept until 11:30 (I NEVER do that), and then took a nap in the afternoon. I'm so sick of being exhausted. This isn't like me. I have a very active 16 year old who wants to do things with me, and who is really tired of having to do most of the housework since I don't have the energy to do it.

My Vitamin D supplements seems to be helping with the numbness a bit, so that's a positive thing.

And I sound like I'm whining. Maybe I am today. I've been trying so hard to stay positive, but sometimes it's really hard. Today is one of those days.

If you got through this, you deserve brownie points.
    Nicole
    2 Legit 2 Quit

Hello,

I live in Seattle. Welcome. Gonna be wet for a few days.
    First of all, telling your story is not whining. You should feel free to talk about it as much and as often as you like. People here don't judge, and want to help.
    My first symptom was left-side weakness. It went away in a few weeks, but really had me rattled. I thought I had had a stroke. Avonex was my first drug too, then tysabri, then conpaxone.
    Anyway, I can relate to what you wrote.

Comment

Intermittent Leave

Ask your Human Resources Department about intermittent leave.
      When I went back to work after being dx'd, mine strongly recommended it for me.
      If you work a certain number of hours a pay period you don't have to use sick pay or vacation. And you still retain your medical.
      See if they offer it.
      It's worth a try.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Thanks Nebbykoo. The commute from Puyallup to Seattle is about to kill me. When my kid graduates from high school, I'm moving closer to Seattle, if not IN Seattle. And thanks, I hate whining, so I'm glad I'm not coming off as whiny.

Techie, I'll look into that. Thanks. I hated having to call in yesterday, but there was no way I could drag myself in. My body needed that rest. Sigh.
        Nicole
        2 Legit 2 Quit

Comment

I had never heard of it either. It helped me work 6 more months anyway.
          techie
          Another pirated saying:
          Half of life is if.
          Dogs Rule!

Comment

Trying to find a Doc in the Pacific Northwest

Just thought I would check this thread since ngrace73 says she is from Puyallup. I live in the Tacoma area and my husband has been having issues for years and has STILL not recieved a diagnosis. I wondered if ngrace73 could recommend the DR. she had who finally diagnosed her.

So far my husband has been tested for suspected ALS, and all tests came back neg. He had an MRI a few years back with the start of his symptoms, but they said it was fine??

One of his first symptoms was a "tired" tounge as he put it. He also has had many cognitive, metal issues. Horrible fatigue, profuse sweating, constant calf cramps and twitching and weakness.I believe he has had pin and needles/numbness feeling in his feet, or legs but just describes it differently than a pins and needles feeling or numbness.

Some days he is better some days worse. Only recently did I finally figure we should look into it being possible MS?? Not sure what else would give such severe symptoms that wax and wane?

He is 45 years old and feels like he is 75 and I just wish he could get some relief from his horrible symptoms if he gets an accurate diagnosis. His fatigue is so bad he can barely make it through the work day and I have heard of some medications doing wonders for the fatigue that is MS related.

It is just hard not knowing what he has and not having a diagnosis yet he is having big difficulties working....

I am sorry for anyones diagnosis as this disease can really rob you, but at least with a diagnosis there can be medication to help ease some symptoms. If anyone here can give me an idea of who I might take my husband to, in the Seattle Tacoma Area, please inform me.If nothing else, to at least rule out another disease......

Thank you all in advance for taking time out of your day when you are dealing with this unkind disease!

Comment

WELCOME NICOLE!!!!!!! Great to have you! Sorry why. I don't want extra points, i'll just take the brownies! you have alot on your plate, but remember if you don't take care of you, you can't expect to care for others. Just take things slow for now, and tell your neuro about all your symptoms. IT'S NOT WHINING!!!!!!!! Good luck.
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hello Nicole, and welcome! I was scared when it all started for me, too. By attacking the disease as you seem to be, many of the fears can soon be set aside. I’m sorry that your mother cannot be with you for the fight.

You wrote: "So, that (study) is what I'm going for. Why not?"

I should raise a yellow flag here. After 7-1/2 years on Avonex I was similarly tempted by a Phase IV study for fingolimod/Gilenya. I was so eager to make the change that I minimized a couple of warning signs in pre-trial testing. Sure enough, I was randomly selected to take Gilenya, but I stopped after 19 days.

If you’re selected, Gilenya will likely be more agreeable for you than it was for me. But there’s a chance that it won’t be. Pay close attention to the pre-study testing and results, and make sure the study doctors follow all of the protocols for monitoring your health.

Remember that there is no free ride; every medicine has its downside. I suggest that you select the medicine that you believe will work best for you, regardless of what study might be involved. If it’s a dead heat between Avonex and Gilenya, sure, go forward with the Gilenya, and count on us here and others in your life to be behind you with support.

You call the Northwest drizzly, but it is still the greatest place to live in the world. And I have fond memories of Puyallup because the PLU track is the site of my fastest-ever 5K, MANY years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MSkillersnorthwest View Post
                  Just thought I would check this thread since ngrace73 says she is from Puyallup. I live in the Tacoma area and my husband has been having issues for years and has STILL not recieved a diagnosis. I wondered if ngrace73 could recommend the DR. she had who finally diagnosed her.

So far my husband has been tested for suspected ALS, and all tests came back neg. He had an MRI a few years back with the start of his symptoms, but they said it was fine??

One of his first symptoms was a "tired" tounge as he put it. He also has had many cognitive, metal issues. Horrible fatigue, profuse sweating, constant calf cramps and twitching and weakness.I believe he has had pin and needles/numbness feeling in his feet, or legs but just describes it differently than a pins and needles feeling or numbness.

Some days he is better some days worse. Only recently did I finally figure we should look into it being possible MS?? Not sure what else would give such severe symptoms that wax and wane?

He is 45 years old and feels like he is 75 and I just wish he could get some relief from his horrible symptoms if he gets an accurate diagnosis. His fatigue is so bad he can barely make it through the work day and I have heard of some medications doing wonders for the fatigue that is MS related.

It is just hard not knowing what he has and not having a diagnosis yet he is having big difficulties working....

I am sorry for anyones diagnosis as this disease can really rob you, but at least with a diagnosis there can be medication to help ease some symptoms. If anyone here can give me an idea of who I might take my husband to, in the Seattle Tacoma Area, please inform me.If nothing else, to at least rule out another disease......

Thank you all in advance for taking time out of your day when you are dealing with this unkind disease!
                  Oh, Gosh, that's terrible. My Neurologist's name is John Huddlestone, there in Tacoma. He's near TG Hospital, and part of the Multicare system. His specialty is MS and stroke patients. Good l uck to you and your husband. It's got to be terrible to n ot know what's wrong.
                  Nicole
                  2 Legit 2 Quit

Comment

Originally posted by TLC_31 View Post
                    Hello Nicole, and welcome! I was scared when it all started for me, too. By attacking the disease as you seem to be, many of the fears can soon be set aside. I’m sorry that your mother cannot be with you for the fight.

You wrote: "So, that (study) is what I'm going for. Why not?"

I should raise a yellow flag here. After 7-1/2 years on Avonex I was similarly tempted by a Phase IV study for fingolimod/Gilenya. I was so eager to make the change that I minimized a couple of warning signs in pre-trial testing. Sure enough, I was randomly selected to take Gilenya, but I stopped after 19 days.

If you’re selected, Gilenya will likely be more agreeable for you than it was for me. But there’s a chance that it won’t be. Pay close attention to the pre-study testing and results, and make sure the study doctors follow all of the protocols for monitoring your health.

Remember that there is no free ride; every medicine has its downside. I suggest that you select the medicine that you believe will work best for you, regardless of what study might be involved. If it’s a dead heat between Avonex and Gilenya, sure, go forward with the Gilenya, and count on us here and others in your life to be behind you with support.

You call the Northwest drizzly, but it is still the greatest place to live in the world. And I have fond memories of Puyallup because the PLU track is the site of my fastest-ever 5K, MANY years ago.
                    Thank you so much for your input. I really do appreciate it. My doctor has already talked to me about all the testing I'll be going through on a regular basis if I get chosen to take the pill as opposed to the shot. I'm nervous...but even if I tell him I'm not comfortable on whichever drug I get randomly selected to take, I'll still be a part of the study for the year, he said, no matter which drug I wind up on in the end.

I hate living here. Haha. I grew up here. July 2007-August 2008 I lived in Utah, and THERE I loved. LOVED LOVED LOVED. When I came back up here for my son's benefit (I needed my family around, I was having trouble with him), I realized this area has never felt like "home" to me. Utah did. It is beautiful...when it's not raining.

Spark's Stadium, downtown by the fairgrounds? Tht's where my high school had all their games.
                    Nicole
                    2 Legit 2 Quit

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                      WELCOME NICOLE!!!!!!! Great to have you! Sorry why. I don't want extra points, i'll just take the brownies! you have alot on your plate, but remember if you don't take care of you, you can't expect to care for others. Just take things slow for now, and tell your neuro about all your symptoms. IT'S NOT WHINING!!!!!!!! Good luck.
                      Thank you! I'm just doing my best to keep a good attitude. And I'm starting to make lists of new things that happen to tell my neurologist about. So many things make sense now. Like...not being able to find a fairly simple word when I'm talking or writing something out (that's been driving me nuts for several YEARS now...I thought I was getting early senility!), and being more clumsy.
                      Nicole
                      2 Legit 2 Quit

Comment

Thank you so much!

Originally posted by ngrace73 View Post
                        Oh, Gosh, that's terrible. My Neurologist's name is John Huddlestone, there in Tacoma. He's near TG Hospital, and part of the Multicare system. His specialty is MS and stroke patients. Good l uck to you and your husband. It's got to be terrible to n ot know what's wrong.
                        Thank you so much for this much needed info! I checked our insurance and Dr. Huddlestone is covered under ours so I am very happy about that. I am going to look into getting an appt for my husband. Any info on how you like his beside manner?

Thanks again for your taking the time to help someone you don't know. Enjoy the beautiful day today...unless you are like my husband who does not do well and has worse fatigue in the heat.

Being a single mom with a teenager and this disease has got to be very difficult,so i appreciate your taking the time to respond even more so!

Comment

Originally posted by MSkillersnorthwest View Post
                          Thank you so much for this much needed info! I checked our insurance and Dr. Huddlestone is covered under ours so I am very happy about that. I am going to look into getting an appt for my husband. Any info on how you like his beside manner?

Thanks again for your taking the time to help someone you don't know. Enjoy the beautiful day today...unless you are like my husband who does not do well and has worse fatigue in the heat.

Being a single mom with a teenager and this disease has got to be very difficult,so i appreciate your taking the time to respond even more so!
                          He's very easy to talk to, up front. He's not going to throw punches...he'll give it to you like it is. I like him.

You're very welcome! I'm actually really loving the heat, but it feels like it has a bite of fall in the air already. Like, we went from a rainy spring, skipped summer and now it's fall. Grrr.

Thankfully, he's being pretty helpful most of the time, but he IS 16 and he's very tired of doing most of the housework, because I just do NOT have the energy for it after working all day in Seattle and coming back home to Puyallup. Being on a message board doesn't take too much energy. I'm enjoying the camaraderie here.
                          Nicole
                          2 Legit 2 Quit

Comment

ngrace73

Originally posted by ngrace73 View Post
                            He's very easy to talk to, up front. He's not going to throw punches...he'll give it to you like it is. I like him.

You're very welcome! I'm actually really loving the heat, but it feels like it has a bite of fall in the air already. Like, we went from a rainy spring, skipped summer and now it's fall. Grrr.

Thankfully, he's being pretty helpful most of the time, but he IS 16 and he's very tired of doing most of the housework, because I just do NOT have the energy for it after working all day in Seattle and coming back home to Puyallup. Being on a message board doesn't take too much energy. I'm enjoying the camaraderie here.
                            Hello ngrace73,
                            how are you enjoying this HEAT!!?? Wow! I guess we got our summer hu? As usual the heat is really doing a number on my husband. Air is down for maintenance at his work and everyone is mad about who decided to do that during this heat wave!

Hopefully your office has had good air conditioning. I do love the sun, but after it tips the 90's mark I just wish I could be at the BEACH all day and swim in the cool water!
                            Hope your doing okay.

Just thought I would stop by and ask you another question regarding your recent diagnosis....I called Huddlestones office and I guess they only take patients who are refered to his office for confirmation of the MS diagnosis?? Just wondering what neurologist you saw that was smart enough in Tacoma/Pierce County to know he was looking at a MS patient?? I went to Dr. Patrick Hogan years ago and really liked how detailed he is so we have asked for a referal for him but I would like to know who you saw before Huddlestone? That is if you don't mind my asking...there are just so many Neurologist out here so if you were happy with your treatment and results I would appreciate any info you might have to pass on.

Take care and have a good evening!

Comment

I want the Drizzle back!

Supposed to be 100 today and tomorrow
                              I want the drizzle and rain back
                              techie
                              Another pirated saying:
                              Half of life is if.
                              Dogs Rule!

Comment

Working...
                              X