Hi everyone! Diagnosed 6/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone! Diagnosed 6/16

Hi everyone. It's so good to have a community out here like this....
    Well, I was diagnosed last week after my left leg went completely numb and was burning...and I was having balance and dizziness issues. As I have seen with others' posts, the ER suspected MS right away, but I went to a neurologist who confirmed it via MRI. I am on steroid treatment for 3 days...tomorrow is the last day and I am curious---how many of you notice many residual symptoms 'hanging around' after the treatment (solumedrol). I am new to this , of course, so I'm curious.

Next week, I will be receiving my 3 month supply of copaxone and I am curious to read around the site how that had helped and what side effects others are experiencing. Like many of you, I think I have had MS for a long time...many seemingly unrelated symptoms that were never connected.....

Anyway, I am grateful for this group and hello to EVERYONE!

Hello millizz

Welcome to the MS World Forums! Glad you found us here. It is good to have a community like this

Sounds like you were diagnosed rather quickly. I was diagnosed rather quickly also - as soon as all the tests were done, and the second opinion was final. Many have to wait years for diagnosis, which has to be totally frustrating, not knowing for sure what is going on

I've never been on steroids (PPMS - no relapses) so I can't share my experience on that. If you go to the Medication Forum and ask, you'll probably get more responses.

Hope to see more of your posts. And good luck with the Copaxone

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

Koko,

Thanks! From what I have read---I did notice that it usually takes awhile for a diagnosis. My neurologist tested me for everything under the sun within 3 days. I think he suspected it from the beginning though.
      I go to my third and final steroid treatment today...I am getting some relief from it, but no real side effects, so I am happy for that. I have a sneaky suspicion though, that i am going to keep some of this pain/discomfort. UGH.
      One thing I did realize in my 2 visits for treatment, was there are folks worse off than me. The first day I was in the room with a wonderful man who had Hep C and was in a study that required frequent visits to the Infusion center not only for blood transfusions, but other treatments. He had a liver transplant 3 years ago (he's 59). But, his spirit was incredible and I could have sat there and talked to him for hours because he lifted me up without even knowing it. He was an angel.

Take care.

Comment

Millizz

Welcome, glad you're here. I've been diagnosed for 15 yrs. Even after a 2nd opinion at Mayo/Rochester I still had to wait until I had a 2nd attack the following spring before I was actually told it was MS. It did feel good to finally know for sure...I guess. But anyway...I had 5 days of IV's and did notice the side effects left in a couple weeks and the symptoms from the attack started going away in a few days but I didn't get the feeling back in my feet for almost a year but I got everything back. Try to take care...baby yourself.
        Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Last steroid treatment was today

Thanks Snuzzer for the welcome. I had my last steroid treatment today, thank goodness. I am feeling a little better but I know it will take time. I had a feeling that it might take a while and I also am prepared if symptoms 'hang around'.
          I spoke with a Natural Health Nurse today who really offered some good insight. I am finding that the Neurontin is NOT helping with the nerve pain- even though I am taking it 3 times a day. Don't see the neurologist for a month. Oh well.
          It's a day by day process....

Comment

Welcome!

When I had IV steroids, I got some good results right away, but then sort of backslid, and it went back and forth like that getting better and worse for about 8 weeks. So don't get discouraged if your recovery takes some time.

A friend of mine had to try neurontin for his nerve pain, and then when he failed to improve on that they tried Lyrica. Hope this info helps!

Comment

Hello

nice to meet you, sad it has to be because of MS, huh.

Never had the treatments you are on so I can't answer your questions there, just wanted to say welcome aboard.

Do come back often so we can get to know you and we can share the load going down the path MS has brought us all to

Comment

steroids

I did have the IV steroid treatment (3days, then a week of stepdown). It took care of the initial symptoms nicely, but I have come to learn about the unprecitability of MS. There are always suprises in my future. I am on copaxone now, and secheduled for next series of MRIs at the end of the road. Cautiously optimistic, though I have been warned that copaxone is not a cure, but just a stopper.

I adore the Basset picture (I used to have one years ago!)
                best to you!

Comment

Working...
                X