Hello from Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Michigan

Hi there! I'm Lucy, 43 years old and i was diagnosed 15 years ago. Happily divorced for 10 years and mom of a teen son and grown daughter. For 6 years i was the primary caregiver for my Father (MS and Parkinsons) Mother (alzheimers) and best friend (cancer) and lost them all in the last 3 years.

Funny thing is...through all that, i rarely even stopped to think that i had MS, I did what i had to do. But now, with the house all quiet and just myself and my son here, with no strict schedule and plenty of rest (ive been known to still be in my jammies at 8pm lol) i seem to be going downhill, mainly cognitive (thus my name), but now major walking, balance and spasticity/pain. whats up with that? lol.

My friends tell me i just need a vacation, one well meaning friend that knows how much i loved to go fishing even convinced me to take my boat out again to relax. That ended with me stepping right off the boat deck onto the parking lot below (i think my son called it a face plant). Note to self...dont go fishing with temps in the high 90's lol. Anyway, i didnt mean to ramble, i just wanted to introduce myself and say how happy i am to have found you all, i wish i had had a place like this when i was first diagnosed. Thanks for listening!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

lol...faceplant? I miss my fishing too. The trip to the lakes wear me out before I reach the boat; but, then again, I'm 73. My wife doesn't love fishing, so...

Comment

Welcome Lucy! I'm 49 and I would have to agree that as my life started to slow down a bit, that's when MS came into the picture a year ago. I don't understand why I tend to feel better when I'm busy and have multiple projects going on.

Comment

From one Michigander to another...

Hi Lucy and welcome. Sounds like you survived your fall; I'm happy for that. Your story brought to mind a funny recent boating story I wanted to share.

We love the summertime in Michigan especially for boating and fishing but we haven't been able to for the past couple of years, not only because I can't help with the launch as in prior years, but since we trailer our boat and my husband's truck was in need of many repairs and is currently uninsured.

Anyway, we were invited to go boating with my bil and his wife, and two other family members on Lake St. Clair last week on their boat. I didn't have too much problem getting on board (although my gait issues made walking on the narrow dock a little scary). So, we get to the sand bar and 4 out of the 6 of us decide to take a dip in the water to cool off. It felt great! But when I wanted to get out of the water, I couldn't lift my leg high enough to reach the first step on the ladder and my body was so slippery from the sunscreen I had put on, that it took three of them to get me back in the boat!! While we all laughed about it, I knew I wouldn't be doing that again too soon!

Comment

WELCOME afewscrewsLUCY!!!!!!!! it is great to have you here but I'm sorry why. I was diagnosed 12 years ago, and I also miss my fishing.

You sure have had a lot to deal with in the past few years. (And there is nothing wrong with staying in your jammies!)

I look forward to seeing more of you around here. Good luck
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I decided it was time for me to swallow my pride and traded in my bass boat for (cant believe i am going to say this) a pontoon. I had to stop being so stubborn and think about my safety, i just cant do everything the same way i could.

The cool part about it is that i am house mom for a group of mentally challenged adults and volunteer at the senior center and a nursing home, and they are always saying they wish they could go out fishing with me. I didnt feel safe taking them on the bass boat but cant wait to take them out on the new one.

hunterd- definitely been a rough few years losing the 3 most important people in my life, but i wouldnt change a thing about those 3 years. I was there for them when they needed me the most, we had long talks, laughed and cried and they taught me so much about both living and dying. And when i am having a bad day i can still hear my Daddys voice "suck it up buttercup, you're going to live with MS for long time, learn to adapt". I miss them terribly, but they still make me smile everyday.

So this is me, Lucy the crazy pontoon lady, sucking it up and moving on.

Comment

Working...
            X