Hey, I'm new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I'm new

Hi all, just found this forum, how are you all doing?
    I'm 29, from Orange County, CA... have been diagnosed since 2002... just got pulled off of Avonex & will be hopefully trying Tysabri soon... uhh, there's more to it --basically I've had two flares in a year, L'Hermittes, numbness that stuck around in my feet long enough to freak me out... just found two new lesions on an MRI & will be completing day 5 of Solu-Medrol infusions this evening. Waiting to hear on that JC Virus test result/etc... wondering what course my disease is going to take, driving to and from work every day with tingly feet...

Basically, my MS is changing and I'd like someone to talk to about it... no idea what's gonna happen from here on out & it's becoming more "real" every day. My friends & family are trying to be supportive but I don't think they really know how to be. Would really love someone to talk to who's been through similar... or who knows wtf I'm talking about... Depression's been out of control lately, JUST got it in check & then had a flare-up... and now I'm dealing with some roid rage. ~_~ Woohoo

Hope all's well out there, sorry to be downer... take care...
    Sara

Originally posted by wolverbeene View Post
    Hi all, just found this forum, how are you all doing?
    I'm 29, from Orange County, CA... have been diagnosed since 2002... just got pulled off of Avonex & will be hopefully trying Tysabri soon... uhh, there's more to it --basically I've had two flares in a year, L'Hermittes, numbness that stuck around in my feet long enough to freak me out... just found two new lesions on an MRI & will be completing day 5 of Solu-Medrol infusions this evening. Waiting to hear on that JC Virus test result/etc... wondering what course my disease is going to take, driving to and from work every day with tingly feet...

Basically, my MS is changing and I'd like someone to talk to about it... no idea what's gonna happen from here on out & it's becoming more "real" every day. My friends & family are trying to be supportive but I don't think they really know how to be. Would really love someone to talk to who's been through similar... or who knows wtf I'm talking about... Depression's been out of control lately, JUST got it in check & then had a flare-up... and now I'm dealing with some roid rage. ~_~ Woohoo

Hope all's well out there, sorry to be downer... take care...
    Sara
    Hi Sara,

Nice to "meet" you through your post. Sounds like you've been on quite a journey, being diagnosed so young and experiencing some significant changes now. Though my experience doesn't reflect yours specifically, I can understand the fear and uncertainty that comes with MS, as I'm sure most of us can. I am 40 years old, and was just diagnosed last year in August with RRMS. I started on Rebif, which I took for 5.5 months (and felt pretty rotten much of that time), then I had an exacerbation in January which led to discovery on MRI of a new spinal lesion (representing my first thoracic one and third spinal lesion overall). This led to my changing neurologists (as my first one basically blew me off), and then changing from Rebif to Tysabri. I'll be having Ty #6 next week, and so far have been happy with it. I'll have 6 month MRIs in August and will at that time have an idea what's happening in my brain/spinal cord as far as MS activity.

Are you treated now for depression? It's (as you probably already know) a common complaint in MS, and can be helped with medications. Also, do you see a therapist? I decided about two months into this last year that I really needed an impartial, non-family person wtih whom I could discuss everything that was happening to me, all the changes I was experiencing, the fear, etc, without burdening my family too much. It really was quite helpful for me, but again, the chemical changes in the brain that can cause depression in MS wont' be helped by therapy, so if you're not being treated for depression, I'd talk to your neuro as soon as possible.

Anyway, great to get to know you a little bit. Hope to hear from you again. take care, and let us know if we can be of support in any way!

Kim

Comment

Hi Sara and welcome.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

hello Sara,

I'm also 29 and was dxed 6 months ago. Its hard to try to find someone to talk to that actually understands what you are going through and doesn't just feel bad for you. I've yet to make any new friends with ms that weren't online.

have you tried the msworld chat room? There are always people in it and everyone is caring, understanding, and full of great information.

Comment

little late :P

Hey everybody, thanks for your replies.

kimik1 - Glad to hear Tysabri is working out for you. Interesting to hear about your experience, sounds like it's been quite the journey for you as well.
          I am being treated for my depression... have been on and off Wellbutrin -- started a month ago, it worked great, flare-up happened, had to stop Wellbutrin to take steroids (contraindication between the two), 'roids made me crazy, just started the Wellbutrin on Friday, too soon to tell how it's gonna work this time but I'm crossing my fingers. I'm currently seeing a therapist one-on-one, so I have these great things in my arsenal. You're right, I do need an unbiased individual I can talk to about everything... I'm glad to hear your therapist is helping you. My neuro seems a little ambivalent regarding my mental health, so I'm thinking I may find a new one soon. Hooray for neuros that blow you off... :S

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, it's good to read your story. Wishing you the best. Hope to talk to you more in the future.

Jules A - Thanks

knarf180 - LoL I hear you, all of my friends with MS are online too. I haven't been in the chat rooms, but I will check them out! Thanks for the welcome. Take care. :>

Comment

Working...
          X