Losing one's mind, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing one's mind, is it possible?

I cannot even begin to say how grateful I am that this site exists. I am a 37 yr old mother of two living in Pensacola FL that has just realized that I have MS due to the many symptoms that I have experienced over the last several years that have become drastically worse and frequent in the last six months. My story is very long but I need to tell someone b/c most people think that I am crazy or a hypochondriac with the exception of one internal medicine physician that is currently running all of the test.

Also, I would like to have my story documented b/c my memory is getting so bad that I wonder if one day I will awake only to not remember who I am more less forget who my family members are and is that even possible with MS? I understand that many will not be able to read this due to vision issues as my sight goes in and out as well. I just hope that my message may help someone that is going through a similar situation.

I have a broken vertebra in my lower back that is crushing the vertebra beneath it as well as crushing my spinal cord with bulging disc etc. So, I have been seeing an orthopedic surgeon as well as pain management doc and they have run many test on me over the last two years that has concluded that I have a bone density of negative 3 and so on. The last test I had was a nerve conduction study that revealed according to the physician's dictation that they have identified primary lesions and that is was time to locate secondary lesions.

At bottom of the dictation, it stated that the technical factors indicate gross demyelination. Unfortunately the doc that administered this test dropped me as a patient b/c he found out that I was getting pain meds from other docs besides just him so he did not go over the results with me. I presented the dictation to the internal med doc as referenced above and she is moving forward with sending me to have an MRI, EEG and referring me to neurologist next week. Thank god b/c my symptoms are getting very scary and as my title states is it possible to lose ones' mind? The symptoms that clarified to me that I have MS started with the second time I re-ended another person b/c I had begun to see double vision with a very heavy need to go to sleep just out of the blue besides the endless couple months of fatigue leading up to the event.

Next the blackouts began, my family would find me passed out all over the house in contortionist positions such as in the bath, in the hall, in the kitchen and I would not remember how I had gotten there or anything about what had happened. One of the last times I passed out, I was found on the toilet several hours later and when my boyfriend awoke me it startled me so I jumped up quickly not realizing I could not feel my feet and rolled my left foot and broke it. I went to the ER a couple days later and the doc told me I had broken it. He then placed a cast on it gave me some motrin, did a CTA of my head, found nothing and discharged me with a dx of dizziness and giddiness.

I would wake daily for several months where I would hurt in very weird places that I had done nothing to cause. I was constantly dropping things, mainly glasses of drinks b/c I would lose feeling in my hands or finger tips. Also, I would wake up with my hands moving involuntarily. I am a smoker so I would be smoking a cigarette outside with the cigarette in my hand when all of a sudden my hand would fling the cigarette across the yard repeatedly and the more I tried to control my hand and fingers the more intense the crazy behavior would get. Then my legs began very weird uncontrollable movement and my balance would be off causing me to fall.

As for urinating, for the last couple months it has been so difficult initiating. I usually have to run water in the sink, at times put my hands in the running water and sit while trying to relax to initiate urinating. I am very bad vertigo almost two to three times a week. My ears get this very full swishing water sound like a dishwasher, my stomach feels like it starts convulsing to the rhythm of the noise in my ears, I vomit violently, my balance gets out of sort and I find myself rocking back and forth.

There have been so many symptoms that I cannot possibly mention them all like thinking that my heating pad electrocuted me one night and I even through it away b/c it hurt all day but later after realizing what I have now I was reading that the electrocution feeling was just another wonderful quirky symptom. But the moment that I finally put all the weird quirky events together and realized that I have MS, was the day that I woke and had spastic involuntary muscle movements all of my body and it was so surreal and violent in nature. It finally scared my whole family so that took me to the ER. The ER doc gave me ativan, dx me with tremors. When I asked him what was causing this, he stated that he did not know and what did I expect him to do b/c it was only an ER. I gathered myself without exploding on him and left the ER.

The following day I went all over the internet looking for any explanation and I began looking at You Tube videos. That night on the local news they had a segment about MS and the age that symptoms appear as well as the facts about how often it affects females. So, for days I continued to search the web and then I finally found the answer. It was a woman's You Tube video that shows the same spastic body movements. Grant it mine were much more violent and I believe that was b/c I was trying so desperately to control my movements that it made them worsE where she appeared to have grown to adapt to some of these movements. Anyway please look at the You Tube video by using your search function to look up (Beverly Avant Apres).

Currently, I am being scheduled for the MRI of my brain and C-Spine, an EEG, an Optometrist visit as well an ofc visit with a Neurologist, Dr Bear here in Pensacola. I wake up daily hurting so bad in my shoulders, upper arms, back of neck, fingers, weak all over, fatigued. I continue to struggle daily with involuntary muscle movements, violent vertigo, loss of feeling in lower extremities and blackouts. If you have made it through this testimony, I am open to all suggestions, thoughts and prayers b/c no one around me has any advice and certainly does not want to hear my story. I wish each of you the best and will continue to read your threads. Thanks so much for being here, reading my testimony and any suggestions, thoughts or prayers you may have. Also, can I possibly be losing my mind or does my story seem familiar?

Mystery37

Feeling horrible and not having the answers as to why and what to do about it makes it all worse. I have some of the problems you listed and some you haven't.

The only advice I can offer at this point is to write down all your history, questions and concerns you have for your next doctor appointment. Sometimes all the information you get can be overwhelming and can make a person forget to ask the questions they need answers to. Taking someone with you to your appointment can be helpful too.

I'm sorry I can't say something that makes it all better instantly. Just know I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that the tests/doctors can help you get the information and treatment you need to feel better soon.

Comment

Keep us posted

Originally posted by Kalliope View Post
      Feeling horrible and not having the answers as to why and what to do about it makes it all worse. I have some of the problems you listed and some you haven't.

The only advice I can offer at this point is to write down all your history, questions and concerns you have for your next doctor appointment. Sometimes all the information you get can be overwhelming and can make a person forget to ask the questions they need answers to. Taking some
      ne with you to your appointment can be helpful too.

I'm sorry I can't say something that makes it all better instantly. Just know I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that the tests/doctors can help you get the information and treatment you need to feel better soon.

I agree, take someone with you to your appointments, sometimes we don't hear everything we need to hear, it can be overwhelming. I always take a notepad with me, my dh when he can, even a friend is good. Right down everything you can and what is bad but even the little things that seem unimportant they're all clues. You know your body better than anyone so.... You are your strongest advocate
      moment by moment Wendy Rochet

Comment

Working...
      X