Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newly diagnosed & looking for understanding..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newly diagnosed & looking for understanding..

Hello, I am new to this site and new to MS. I received my diagnosis just this February and it still seems like a bad dream that I'll never wake up from, lol! I have been on medication for my various symptoms for about over a year now, even though no one knew what was wrong with me, with little improvement. I am signed up to begin Avonex injections & I'm very nervous about this. You see, I have this tendency to experience any side effect possible and the side effects of the shot are daunting. I guess I signed up here to feel connected & maybe not so isolated. I also hope to gain inspiration from those of you with any to spare.
    Peace&Love

Hi Monica, sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. You will find lots of support and inspiration from this site and don't be shy to ask questions or share your experiences.

Warm regards,
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hi Monica

I'm glad you have some answers, but those months after diagnosis are really, really hard, and you're not alone in feeling that way. It does get easier to deal with in time, but when you are in those first few months (first few years?) it's hard to see straight, much less make decisions about your health and well being.

Try not to stress out too much about the meds. (I know, easier said than done.) You can always switch medicines if you need to, so if the side effects are awful this decision isn't set in stone. Fortunately, the vast majority of people have only a few, manageable side effects from any med they choose and some luck people get none at all. Here's to yours being the boring or non-existent type.

Comment

Originally posted by Monica_67 View Post
        Hello, I am new to this site and new to MS. I received my diagnosis just this February and it still seems like a bad dream that I'll never wake up from, lol! I have been on medication for my various symptoms for about over a year now, even though no one knew what was wrong with me, with little improvement. I am signed up to begin Avonex injections & I'm very nervous about this.
        Welcome to the site and give yourself a BIG pat on the back to take the first step to sign up to begin Avonex injections. You are FAR braver than I was (dx in 2008, started on Avonex 5 weeks ago because up until then I was a huge wuss ) and I applaud you for stepping in so quickly to battle MS.

You see, I have this tendency to experience any side effect possible and the side effects of the shot are daunting.
        There are always exceptions to the rule! My advice is to pre-medicate with ibuprofen or acetaminophen before the injection as well as hydrate well during the day. Keep us posted when you do start treatment!
        Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
        UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Hi Monica I hear you...

Hi I'm new to this as well, I've bee stuff ing to figure out how to treat what this last year. This has been a rough ride and it's scary because I fear I haven't even gotten to the worst part yet and it's too much of pain already. I was dxin nov 2010 on my BDAY! Not sure I feel I know what to believe at times this is Avery confusing time for me. Trying to figure it all out this whole last year and still without the answers I want.
          moment by moment Wendy Rochet

Comment

Monica
            I'm new here too~ diagnosied January 11, 2012. A bad dream for sure ..Sorry! You will find a lot of support and encouragement on this sight.

Good luck with Avonox. I hope the side effects are minimal.
            Amy

Comment

Hey Monica

Sorry to hear of your dx, it sure can throw you for a loop. I can tell you from 12 months down the track that that first year can be rugged, but it is survivable.

It's a tricky one to wrap your head around but it is doable, so if you need to know about the light at the end of the tunnel on a rough day, or celebrate your successes on a good one this is a great place to come.

All the best
              Teresa
              Diagnosis February 2011 Avonex: February 2011 - September 2011, Copaxone: September 2011 - current

Comment

Working...
              X