New Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here

I was diagnosed with CIS about 2-3 weeks ago, after almost a month of trying to figure out why I randomly had my legs and feet go to sleep basically. I just turned 27, and am engaged to be married, no bio kids either. MRI showed a lesion on my spinal cord, nothing on my brain and my spinal tap show OG bands. I'm going to start Avonex soon, it will arrive tomorrow and I just need to set up the nurse training to refresh myself on IM injections.

To be completely honest, I am not dealing well with this at all. I just returned to work after a month of not being able to and it's much harder than I remember. While 5 rounds of IV steroids helped a lot, I find the numbness/tingling worse after 8 hours of being on my feet, even with breaks.

I'm a control freak by nature and loosing control of my body is extremely difficult and idk how to deal. I came here hoping to find some support.

Hi Bellaluna,

Sorry to hear of your situation, but welcome to MS World. This is a great place for support and information.

I'm 40 years old and was diagnosed with MS in August. I understand your feeling of loss of control and am still dealing with that myself, big time. I'm a complete control freak, organizer, want to know what's coming and when it will be here, etc, and now I have a medical condition that completely takes that away.

I think the only think I take comfort in is that I'm doing everything I can to fight progression (you'll be starting Avonex; that's a proactive step which gives you some control). I'm taking Rebif, and planning that this bit of control will at least help me feel like I'm doing SOMETHING.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble at work. Hopefully, as you move back into it, it will get easier.

Good luck with the Avonex, and come back often. The chat room here is also a great place to go for questions, support, friendship and general understanding, as we've all share your shoes.

Take care,
    Kim
    kimik1

Comment

welcome bellaluna!!!!!! i don`t think anyone is happy that the dx is ms. they are happy it`s not something worse though. you will find as much support as you want here. i look forward to seeing more of you around. good luck.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Finally talked to the nurse today, she called while I was at work lol. Unfortunately, our conversation got cut short (I'm a manager and got paged) and she had to call me back a couple hours later. She will be here on Sunday afternoon to train my Mom, my fiancee and retrain me on IM injections. She talked to my Neurologist and I will be starting with smaller doses and working my way up.

My mood is a little bit better today. Work was pretty slow and easy, so that's good. I just wish I knew what my body was feeling. I was numb from the pelvis down for so long that I am not sure what's going on "down there" so to speak

Some days, I am not sure if I am being a hypochondriac or if something is up.

Comment

Welcome

Hi,
          I am also 27 (in a few months) and experienced numbness for the first time out of nowhere. My feet went numb and it finally subsided after the 5-day steroid course of treatment. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with relapse remitting MS. I had lesions on my spinal cord and brain, though I opted out of the LP for now.

It is a lot to handle! Don't put too much pressure on yourself and you can't always be in control. I know, it is scary. Just take it one step at a time and take care of yourself. Your health comes first.
          Have you told anyone at work? You have to find a way to take it relatively easy and not overextend yourself. I find the numbness can come back from overexertion or being on my feet too long.
          Hang in there! You can take control of your health. I am starting Avonex soon also, though I'm waiting until after a holiday vacation. There are other things you can do, such as an anti-inflammatory diet or integrative medicine. Remember, controlling the inflammation is very important (which the steroids do) and diet is SO important. There is a great introduction from the MS Society, just do a Google search of "The Anti-inflammatory Diet and MS".
          Let me know how it goes with Avonex.
          Take care,
          Ami

Comment

Hi Bella,

Welcome to MSWorld.. I have yet to be dx'd. I have had 4 MRI's and two have one lesion and a clean brain. My numbness and weakness is in my hands and arms. It started in my legs and feet. I left a message for my doctor today to schedule a spinal tap. It is nice to hear stories of people going through the same thing. I am very glad I found this cite.
            limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

Originally posted by BellaLuna Rayne View Post
              Thanks for the warm welcome!

Finally talked to the nurse today, she called while I was at work lol. Unfortunately, our conversation got cut short (I'm a manager and got paged) and she had to call me back a couple hours later. She will be here on Sunday afternoon to train my Mom, my fiancee and retrain me on IM injections. She talked to my Neurologist and I will be starting with smaller doses and working my way up.

My mood is a little bit better today. Work was pretty slow and easy, so that's good. I just wish I knew what my body was feeling. I was numb from the pelvis down for so long that I am not sure what's going on "down there" so to speak

Some days, I am not sure if I am being a hypochondriac or if something is up.
              No, you are not a hypochondriac. Many of us have felt the same way.

Comment

Well, I injected myself with my first dose of Avonex. It was a 1/4 of the regular dose, but I did it. I guess I was just nervous about injecting myself for a change lol.

Hopefully, by working up to the full dose I won't have as much of a problem with side effects. The nurse was okay. Unfortunately, my fiancee didn't get trained because his 3 year old was throwing a tantrum. My Mom got a refresher of giving injections, so I should be covered.

Comment

Working...
                X