New to MSWorld, not MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MSWorld, not MS

In May, after 3 months of "short term disability" from my job, I had a neuro-cognitive assessment. The results were poor and indicated significant loss of cognitive function. Shortly before my cognitive assessment, I lost my job as an executive lobbyist for a non-profit business organization.

I have moved to "long term disability" and am now in the process of trying to figure out how to live independently. The process is difficult as I am unable to develop strategies to address the difficulties I have with daily living.

One of the most basic problems I have is answering the question "What can I do to help" that people have asked me. I know that I need help, but I simply do not know what to ask for.

Because I have income through disability insurance, I do not qualify for county social services. I have an appointment on Oct 21 and am planning to ask my neuro for a referral for an OT assessment, which I hope my medical insurance will cover.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this website and look forward to being more connected with others who also live with ms.
    Diagnosed November 1995
    Started Copaxone 9/11

Welcome Kpoehls,

Your post contains a logical approach to your own questions and I too hope insurance covers your needs. Others here may have additional suggestions.

On the question "What can I do to help" may I suggest keeping a pad nearby at all times to jot down thoughts as your daily needs arise.... Review nightly. Things written hold your attention and therefore clarify quicker.

This works for me on many levels and may also help "lift" a bit of the cog fog some MSers experience.

Good luck!

Jer

Comment

Working...
    X