Announcement

Collapse

CHANGES AT MSWORLD - MSWORLD'S CLOSURE

We began with a mission and purpose to help others living with MS.

We were excited to get going!

And hit a few bumps along the way…

However, in all seriousness, we remain grateful for our amazing volunteers, members & all who have made MSWorld a valuable resource for all!

July 10, 2024, we celebrated the goodness of these past 28 years. With a heavy heart, we will be ending our services.

We need a financial miracle to keep going forward.

We thank all for your support.

MSWorld's website will close on October 16, 2024.

“I personally want to wish all of you the guidance to find this type of support, as so many do here. Also, my prayers and love extends beyond my understanding. It has been a pleasure to steward this journey.”

God Bless you, Kathleen

Kathleen Wilson
Founding President
❤️

we leave knowing that
we did our best and
stayed true to our mission and purpose.

Please visit our General Questions and Answers forum to read more.
See more
See less

Um, yes, forgot to introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um, yes, forgot to introduce myself

Hi.

So I have posted probably a gazillion times in the past week, and it just dawned on me: I never told these people who I am.

Oops.

You can call me Derrie. I'm a thirty-year-old single, professional woman living in Montana. I love the outdoors, wild places, reading well-written prose, pretending to know how to fix my bike, my dog, and thrift store shopping. I also express my creativity by cooking-- I'm vegan, and I especially enjoy figuring out how to make old favorites without the meat and dairy. I drink a cup of herbal tea every night, no matter what, because it is the most comforting thing ever.

My generally upbeat nature has been sorely tried these past seven months of mysteriously appearing and disappearing symptoms (that I did my best to ignore), and I finally realized I should probably see a doctor about them again. In February, I experienced some tingling in my extremities, and I saw a neurologist in my former hometown. After a slew of perfectly normal blood tests and a normal brain MRI, one blood test showed an elevated B6 level. I was deemed to have B6 toxicity, which can cause paresthesia, and sent home with instruction to stop taking my multivitamin.

A month or so later, the symptoms faded, leaving only the mildest tingling.

Fast forward six months, and I'm starting a new job -- my first job since receiving my law degree! -- in a new town, and the tingling starts up. Worse. With awful, awful pain. And rubbery legs, some fatigue, etc. And tingling in my face. All that. I try to ignore it for a few weeks, and I finally give in an see a neurologist here.

After a pretty long (90 minutes!) exam, in which the neurologist noticed weakness in my left leg and brisk reflexes (for about half the exam, I labored under the delusion that "brisk" was a good thing and was quite pleased with myself and my snappy reflexes), he told me there was almost certainly something wrong on my spine.

"MS or a spinal tumor," he says.

Well, gee, thanks-- what great options.

I went home with a large bottle of gabapentin and a schedule of MRIs and follow up appointments. He said he'd likely want to treat me with steroids soon, but didn't want to give them to me until after my MRI.

So I'm in limbo, which I don't really like, but I am wishing like mad that this is something as innocuous as that B6 toxicity that I was first diagnosed with. I don't know what's wrong with me, but y'all are amazing at helping me navigate my appointments and symptoms, that I felt like sticking around, even though I fully plan not to have MS.

I can totally wish it away, right?

Hi derrie

So I'm in limbo, which I don't really like, but I am wishing like mad that this is something as innocuous as that B6 toxicity that I was first diagnosed with. I don't know what's wrong with me, but y'all are amazing at helping me navigate my appointments and symptoms, that I felt like sticking around, even though I fully plan not to have MS.
    I'm wishing, right along with you, that you don't have MS.....

But if you find out that you do, you know that you are always welcome here.

Good luck with the testing process. Let us know what you find out.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Derrie,

Gotta wonder if it may be related to stress at all. Moving to another state and starting a new job sounds like it was quite an undertaking.

Both of my "episodes" that eventually led to my pseudo-M.S. diagnosis were preceded by abnormally high stress levels deriving from new employment. I'm normally a pretty even-keeled and laid-back dude, but just happened to stumble into two pretty negative situations that were out of my control.

I resigned from job #1 in 5 months, and was about to resign from my current job, until hit by my 2nd episode in June of this year. I think that it's time for me to find a new line of work, just in case.

Strangely enough, the neuro I saw while employed at job #1, nearly 2yrs ago, thought that it was a vitamin-B deficiency and prescribed me Metanx (basically an expensive vitamin B6 & 12 supplement).

Best of luck in your journey. I'm, somewhat, in the same boat and know how you feel.
      Diagnosed 06/20/2011

Comment

Originally posted by jburkart View Post
        Gotta wonder if it may be related to stress at all. Moving to another state and starting a new job sounds like it was quite an undertaking.
        Hey J-- I was actually pretty excited and happy about this move (dream job and all), but I know that upheaval -- even positive upheaval -- can cause stress for our bodies in ways we wouldn't expect. So whether this is stress-related has definitely been on my mind. Law school is not a stress-free undertaking, either, and my first encounter with these symptoms was during law school.

(I blamed my first round of symptoms fully on my Remedies class, since that was where I first noticed them.)

Anyway, in the hopes of making my body happy, I've been trying to focus on healthy things, like you said you were in another post: healthy food, moderate exercise, plenty of water, plenty of rest, etc. I am hoping that is what makes the difference and gets my body back on the right track.

Because it seems to have derailed a bit.

You're still in the process of ruling out other issues, too, with your new neurologist, right? Let me know how that goes. And seriously, can't they just make an MS blood test or something? Geez, medical science, get it together.

Thanks, and be well!

Comment

Working...
        X