Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MS/ not new Type1 Diabetic

Hello MS World;

My man , 46 is a type1 diabetic of 25 years. We have been together for 3 1/2 years - he is bipolar and other various medical issues.

In June he was diagnosed with a spinal cyst , wrapping around his spinal cord. He had a major spinal cyst removed in fall 2009, and it had grown back from a part attached to his cord. While investigating the most recent cyst , they found a MS lesion at the top of his neck.

They did more testing and spinal fluid came back MS positive. Since the removal of the cysts, they are waiting to see what symptoms remain and maybe attributed to MS.

Unfortunately , it seems that his paralysis on the right side as well as some speech problems come and go, and some neuropathy , which could be attributed to the diabetes remains.

He is not a candidate for any steroidal drugs due to his other health issues , and aside from vitamin D3 supplements we are on a "wait and see" what happens as there is so much cross purpose symptoms.

We are in shock that he has yet another life threatening illness to deal with , along with everything else it is overwhelming to say the least.

I am glad there is support on line for us and we will be contacting the MS Canada chapter near us for some more support.

I took a visit to the chat room and someone told me a good book to start with is "MS for Dummies"- I am thinking that they are right !

I love my man very much and want to help him deal with all this as much as possible , but I always want to remember HE is the one with the disease, and he gets to call the shots for his treatment , and dealing with it.

He told me he has had to look death in the face , each day dealing with the diabetes, and this is just one more scoop on the pile. I am trying hard for acceptance , as is he.

Thanks for being out there !

Peace
    Peace ~~ Kat

Hello kif8skip

Welcome!

Sounds like your man has plenty of health issues to deal with. He is fortunate to have you for support.

I am glad there is support on line for us and we will be contacting the MS Canada chapter near us for some more support.
    Good idea!

I love my man very much and want to help him deal with all this as much as possible , but I always want to remember HE is the one with the disease, and he gets to call the shots for his treatment , and dealing with it.
    You are showing him respect by allowing him to make his decisions.

If you have any questions, just ask and we'll be glad to help if we can.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
    X